Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

OMG!!  I was introduced to dough boys when I was a child!  We had close family friends who were Italian, and they made the best dough boys!!  Dough boys are fried dough sprinkled with sugar!!  Later on I remember seeing dough boys being made at country fairs--but not nearly as good as the ones our friends made......sweet memories....

Zeppolis?

Nope.....dough fried in oil and sprinkled with sugar!!  Delicious!!

PIzza fritta?  Flattend dough, fried in oil and served with sprinkled confectioners sugar or pizza sauce with sprinkled cheese.

never had fried dough made into a pizza.....just regular sugar or powdered sugar....

Predominately an East Coast thing...you have a choice of powderd sugar or pizza sauce w/sprinkled cheese served at Italian church festivals, Feast of San Genaro (this year sept. 14-24/17)  Mulburry and Canal Sts., NYC (the best street food!)  Pizza fritta is also served at many state fairs, some offer both choices.

Valued Contributor

Is this an Elephant ear?  Deep fried dough.  8-10 inces around sprinked with cinnamon and sugar?  Sold at the State and County Fairs.   Yum!!

Honored Contributor

Just like my coney island salad LOL Nobody has ever heard of that any where. Must be a family thing. Bologna, cheese, pickles and onions, tad of mustard . Stir altogether with Miracle Whip.

I put the bologna and cheese in food processor , then , process the pickles and onions. I'm originally from Southern Ind, close to Ky. LOL

Valued Contributor

Oh my Sharke my sister called that ham salad and not a drop of ham in it. It was a family favorite. I always wonder why they called it that. Haven't had it in many years though.

that brought back a memory!(

Valued Contributor

Sounds like Indian fry bread -- used to make Indian tacos or served with cinnamon/sugar

Honored Contributor

I'm east coast and Italian, too, but never heard of a dough boy. My grandmother used to make pizza fritta, which was pizza dough, deep fried and we'd eat it with salt like a pretzel.  I don't know if the adults ate it with other toppings.  If that's a dough boy, then yum... I hadn't thought of them in years.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

Oh my Sharke my sister called that ham salad and not a drop of ham in it. It was a family favorite. I always wonder why they called it that. Haven't had it in many years though.

that brought back a memory!(

Yeah, we had ham salad , too, but, can't recall exactly how we made it with ham.  Back in the 50's and 60's bolongna and cheese were just more plentiful.

Remember, those old time grinders made of aluminum guess it was you still see them at flea shows. You hooked it on the side of your table, screwed on the clamp device and the gadget had that long handle, weighed couple of lb. put your stuff down in the chute and turned the handle everything came out the holes , processed.

When done had to take the blade with the holes in it apart and clean it put it back together for the next time.

Hubbo's mother used to use it for sausage what she called 'summer sausage' that was before my time. LOL  Now, we got food processors, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

OMG!!  I was introduced to dough boys when I was a child!  We had close family friends who were Italian, and they made the best dough boys!!  Dough boys are fried dough sprinkled with sugar!!  Later on I remember seeing dough boys being made at country fairs--but not nearly as good as the ones our friends made......sweet memories....

Zeppolis?

Nope.....dough fried in oil and sprinkled with sugar!!  Delicious!!

We just called it fried dough.

I had a friend who bought the frozen bread or rolls dough.  He would take some out when he went to bed and fry it in the morning for breakfast.  Of course, you have to sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon!  (Like a small elephont ear from the fair)  He said his mother did that for breakfast when he was young but she made her dough.  They are very good!

He kept a fry baby just to make them. He was from upstate NY.  

Respected Contributor

LOL! Thought a dough boy was a type of swimming pool for people who didn't have a real pool...