Honored Contributor

Split pea soup......follow the recipe on the bag.   Everything goes in the pot together.   THEN put it on the burner.   It is one of the easiest  soups to make.     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Fry it first, just try not to eat it al before putting it in the soup. Woman LOL

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

I'd probably cook it first to render the fat, then use all or part of the fat to saute the aromatic vegetables, then add the peas and other ingredients. Then I'd crumble the cooked bacon and use it as a garnish. 

Yes, to this.  

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

I'd probably cook it first to render the fat, then use all or part of the fat to saute the aromatic vegetables, then add the peas and other ingredients. Then I'd crumble the cooked bacon and use it as a garnish. 

Yes, to this.  

This is exactly what i do.   i use thick cut bacon and get it crisp, remove the crisp bacon, then cook down the celery and onion in the fat. Bacon is the garnish - if i don't eat it first!

Decades ago i had a step by step w/pics pea soup recipe from McCall's magazine "cooking school" . it called for rendered bacon as the base, and then add a meaty ham bone.

Honored Contributor

The I look at it, if you ever use canned baked beans there’s always a few chunks of bacon in it.  The bacon has not been fried, but it has been cooked.  I believe you can put raw bacon into your dish but just make sure you cook it long no enough to cook the bacon and get it to release it’s flavor.  

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Best to use a ham hock, or a chunk of salt pork, or back fat.   A few slices of bacon is not enough to season a pot of soup.

Add some "liquid smoke"......or a ring of smoked sausage, if you have it.

Cut up the bacon and toss in the soup.  Try to do the cutting when the bacon is frozen - it is easier/less dangerous to handle.

We use ham hocks - this is a twice a year soup for us.  The ham hocks make such a rich and equidistantly velvety soup with bit of ham. 

I should make some this weekend.