Honored Contributor

Do you know "Sylvia's" spices?

My new passion when I do cook.  I have salts of hers.  About 3 different ones.  They add so much to the dish and are so good.  Just found these not too long ago.

Have you found these at the grocery?  If not, what have you found?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you know "Sylvia's" spices?

[ Edited ]

I tried a few of her blends and they were very good. Long used up and can't remember the names. I remember hearing that Sylvia had died about 10 years ago.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy again but not something I would specifically search for.

I like to recommend the Badia website for spices. It's so huge I feel like I'm browsing in the spice section of a supermarket. Would love to get back to the real thing soon. 

Respected Contributor

I found this in my local supermarket about 2 months ago and bought the Secret Seasoning.  It's VERY GOOD.  I just used it on chicken the other day and regularly put it in sauces, etc.   I would purchase her other blends as well. 

Respected Contributor

Sylvia's is a well-known Harlem restaurant. You can order the seasonings from the firm's website. A 3-pack of the Secret Seasoning is on sale right now for $9.99. There's a free shipping code at the top of the page for orders of $30 or more.

The website also has sauces and fry mixes.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Sylvia's is a well-known Harlem restaurant. You can order the seasonings from the firm's website. A 3-pack of the Secret Seasoning is on sale right now for $9.99. There's a free shipping code at the top of the page for orders of $30 or more.

The website also has sauces and fry mixes.

Good to know!! I'll have to check on that.  Thanks. @noodleann 

Honored Contributor

I met Sylvia at her Harlem restaurant, we used to eat there on many Sundays after church.  My mother had her 65th Gospel Brunch Birthday celebration there, nearly 30 years ago. 

That area, around Lenox and 125th Street, is where my parents met and fell in love in the 1940's. 

Sorry, I just went down memory lane.  No, I have not tried her seasonings. 

Respected Contributor

I love that.   Very special.