Respected Contributor

I'm getting ready to cook up some split pea soup, and want to add a little something to enhance the flavor.

I found 4 frozen strips in my freezer and here's what I want to know:

Should I cook the bacon before I put it in the pot with the peas?
Or should I put them in raw?

I'd like to put them in raw because it'll save me the work of cooking them. And, anyway, they'll come out all boiled-up looking and shriveled up looking anyway, whatever I do to them.

Please advise me.

Esteemed Contributor

I always cook the bacon first for any recipe.......sounds like you could use a bacon press, that prevents the bacon from becoming boiled up or shriveled as you described.......what time is dinner?

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   It's only 4 strips, I would put them in raw and let the flavor of the bacon and fat cook into the soup.

Esteemed Contributor

Cooking first will get the excess fat out.  4 slices of bacon won't add much (more) flavor but looks nice floating around.

Respected Contributor

hee hee--tommorow. I believe something like that always tastes better the 2nd day, after it's been chilled in the 'frige.

I live in WA state and would like to make some fried okra; a southern girl made that for me years ago and it was delicious. Obviously at this time of year I'd need to find frozen. Anyone in the Seattle 'burbs residents know where I can score some?

Honored Contributor

I'd cook it first.  Raw bacon floating in green soup is very repulsive to me.  I'm not sure it would get thoroughly cooked.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   Cook.  The easiest way is in the Microwave.  You need a paper plate and place a piece of paper towel over the plate, then add your bacon and cover with paper towel.  For 4 slices of bacon about 3 minutes but check on the Internet for accracy on timing.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten   Cook.  The easiest way is in the Microwave.  You need a paper plate and place a piece of paper towel over the plate, then add your bacon and cover with paper towel.  For 4 slices of bacon about 3 minutes but check on the Internet for accracy on timing.

Thank you for reminding me of that!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

i agree with microwaving 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Cook the 4 slices of bacon

Pour the bacon grease over the peas

Eat the bacon

It's the grease from the bacon that is the flavor.  Not just plain bacon.

In my neck of the woods, "fat back" is used for extra flavor.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif