Esteemed Contributor

How do you get all the juice out of shredded zucchini to bake with? Just checking to see if an easier way then rolling it in a towel and scraping it off. Any ideas are much appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Hmmmm.I have thought about this-but lately, I've been eating it raw and making noodles....

I would take cut zucchini-rounds or planks, put it on paper towels on a cookie sheet and put more paper towels over the top. I would put another cookie sheet over that and put weights on it-whatever you have-and let it sit for 1/2 hour. 

I might use a sprinkling of coarse salt, with the idea of wiping it off....

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

@godi wrote:

How do you get all the juice out of shredded zucchini to bake with? Just checking to see if an easier way then rolling it in a towel and scraping it off. Any ideas are much appreciated. 

@godi

I put the shredded zucchini in a mesh colander/strainer and press the moisture out with the back of a spoon.  HTH

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Frequent Contributor

I use shredded zucchini all the time when I make fried zucchini patties.  After shredding the unpeeled zucchini, put it in a clean kitchen towel and S-Q-U-E-E-Z-E as tightly as you can until you have extracted all the water.  HTH!!!

Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

If I'm making zucchini bread, I just put the shredded zucchini in a strainer over a bowl and let it sit for at least a half hour. Then I press it against the strainer. I have found I want some water left in the zucchini when baking to make the most moist outcome. When I'm making zucchini patties, I salt the shredded zucchini and let it sit over the bowl for at least a half hour. Than I squeeze it out with my hands, just like I do frozen spinach. When I make zoodles, I just salt them and let them drain for a half hour.

Respected Contributor

I don't drain mine at all if I am making zucchini bread.

Honored Contributor

I make zoodles all the time and never salt and drain them. I make them just as my skillet is hot so I can throw them right in and saute them for about 4 minutes; always comes out great. All that other is way to time consuming for me. Same with baking--I grate them just before adding to the batters.

Respected Contributor

When baking, I don't need to drain...If I were frying, I would probably need to get some of the liquid out...like shredded potatoes when making latkes, for example....

Regular Contributor

You do not need to drain zucchini when making bread.  I shredded it one time and drained it, it was the worse zucchini bread ever....very dry.