Honored Contributor

My kitchen organizing & purging is almost done🎉🎉

I can't imagine for over 2 weeks I've been re-organizing, purging, donating & tossing unused/old kitchen items - today was my baking pantry. In fact, I thought about I haven't used my KA Pro mixer in 2 years😳Hope it still works!

I do have a question for bakers here.  Over the past 5-6 years I have collected over 100 bottles of sanding sugar, decorations & sprinkles.  They are stored in storage container in sealed lock n locks OR original bottles.  I tasted a few today - they don't taste stale yet I'm not sure!  I don't need these big quantities anymore I'm not baking dozens & dozens of holiday themed cookies as past years.  I was going to box them & donate to food pantry with excess cake, brownie mixes.  Any idea how long to keep?

Then there is my LNL overload.  I'm going to ask my friends tomorrow if they want them if not off to Habitat!

My goal is to be done by Tuesday as my family is coming Friday!

Honored Contributor

Re: My kitchen organizing & purging is almost done🎉🎉

Good for you!!!!  Congrats.

I moved nearly 4 yrs ago.  When I started unboxing, I threw stuff into the kitchen pantry "for the time being."  Now when I can't find anything, the last place I look is the pantry.  Voila!!!!  there it is!

I gave myself a 5 yr plan to complete my downsizing.  This winter, I will tackle the kitchen pantry.

In the words of Scarlett O' Hara, "tomorrow is another day." whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1, good for you!  I have to do this again.  It is a job I save for the colder months.  LM

Honored Contributor

Pitch it!!!   It's a freeing feeling

Contributor

save yourself some time and check the expiration dates on the cake and brownie mixes. the food bank in my town refuses to accept past dated food. 

Esteemed Contributor

My food bank also won't accept expired goods.  I usually throw out anything I can't get an expiration date on.  I have found calling the manufacturer to get an expiration date is helpful; sometimes the dates are coded.

Honored Contributor

What a relief that must be. Probably best to toss everything you won't be using.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@duffy2 wrote:

save yourself some time and check the expiration dates on the cake and brownie mixes. the food bank in my town refuses to accept past dated food. 

I was dropping off at our food bank and I heard one volunteer tell another not to accept expired food and I seriously doubt they would take the decorating sugars and sprinkles, etc. if they've been opened.

Honored Contributor

Toss all the old food stuff, its outdated and cant be donated, they are not allowed to use open or outdated food stuff.  Why would you want to feed people outdated food?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never take any food items close to expiration date or expired! If I wouldn't use it I don't want anyone else too! (Food related)

As for the sprinkles out to the garbage men they went! The unopened & sealed ones I kept.  I went from 3 storage drawers to 1. 

At first thought I'd give unopened ones to DILthen thought I bought her KA stand mixer for shower gift (7 yrs ago) it's still in box🤔😳so I highly doubt baking cookies in her sight!!! Lol

Thanks everyone for you kudos & thoughts....wish I really "lost" pounds I threw out in bags.

Although, lesson learned as I get older "less is definitely more" lately!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

homedecor