Respected Contributor

Re: Zojirushi Breadmaker

[ Edited ]

I will re try.....be patient! Scanning didn't work, couldn't read it very well, so here goes. 1 lb loaf in black print, 1 1/2 lb loaf in blue

6 oz (3/4 cup) milk9 oz (1 cup + 2 Tbsp

2 cups   bread flour3 cups

1 tablespoon sugar -  1 1/2 tablespoons

1 tsp salt    -   1 1/2 teaspoons 

1 Tbsp, cut into 4 pieces Butter2 Tbsp, cut into 4 pieces

1 1/2 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast2 teaspoons

Directions for both:

Add milk to bread pan.

Add flour, sugar and salt to pan.  Tap pan to settle ingredients, then level dry ingredients, pushing some of the flour mixture into the corners.

Place a piece of butter into each corner of pan on top of dry ingredients.

Make a slight well in center of dry ingredients and add yeast.

Put pan in machine, twist to lock in place, close cover and set for basic bread and select crust color and press start.

You will have the most delicious bread you will want to eat the whole loaf while it is still warm!

*Note - if your machine tells you to warm the liquids, please do so for this recipe also.  My machine is an older one and it takes into consideration I am putting cold liquid in and has a "pre heating" feature to account for that.

Honored Contributor

@Junker2327 Most of the bread recipes I use are from "The Bread Machine Cookbook" revised edition by Donna Rathmell German.  Has recipes for small, medium and large loaves.  I use small and it is perfect for the mini Zo.  I think I purchased this book at Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I bought mine 2 or 3 years ago at Bed, Bath and Beyond and used their 20% off.  That was the best price I saw at that time.   Haven't bought bread in a store since.

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness  Thanks for the recipe.  This sounds like a "Sunday Bread" with the milk.  I wonder if I can add raisins to that?  That would make it perfect.  My grandmother and mother used to make something like that for Sundays.

Honored Contributor

Just made this while ago. Turned out pretty good for a bread machine

This is the FULL sized machine most like store bought bread.

DSCN0516.JPG

DSCN0517.JPG

DSCN0518.JPG

Respected Contributor

@SharkE  Looks very good!

Honored Contributor

Re: Zojirushi Breadmaker

[ Edited ]

Somebody made the comment about bread machine loaf comes out uneven.

That's because the machine kneads it to death. Way to long. What I do is wait till it kneads it twice and then goes to 'Rise' and I take the dough out and shape it into a long loaf and hurry up and put it in there when the last rise, is over and goes to 'Bake'.   I have my crust control on 'Med' and use the 'Quick method' using the rapid rise yeast. I cheated a little on the King Arthur recipe instead of 3 tablespoons of butter I increased to 4 and used one pkt of yeast and half of another one.

Found a better recipe then the Walter Sands one at King Arthur.

This one is just 'Basic white bread for the bread machine' recipe on website

It calls for real milk and butter not that ol' dry milk.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness  Thanks for the recipe.  This sounds like a "Sunday Bread" with the milk.  I wonder if I can add raisins to that?  That would make it perfect.  My grandmother and mother used to make something like that for Sundays.

I don't see why not, that sounds yummy!  You would add them at the point in the cycle when your instructions tell you to add extra ingredients.  

Honored Contributor

We have had our two Zo breadmakes for many years--I don't even know how long.  They have made an awful lot of bread without complaint and turned out pizza crusts, hot rolls, cakes, strawberry jam and all sorts of things. 

If I could only have one it would be the Mini Zo.  It is THE best bread maker we ever had--the first one was a Panasonic in summer 1992; then we had a Breadman, then the two Zo's.  Out of all of them, the mini is hands down the champ.

If you can afford it and it is something you will use a lot, or just want, why not buy the best?  Often the price has little to do with the enjoyment you get out of it.  To me, it isn't about the sticker price, it's about the value. 

Respected Contributor

@SoonerIt's great to hear that these machines are such work horses.  I hope to make a lot of bread and other things in mine.   The one loaf I made is very basic and the book states the loaf makes 8 slices.  But this bread is so satisfying that I will definitely make at least 10 slices out of it.

Your having had this mini for so long, can you tell me if the machine warms up the water/milk during that first half hour before it starts actually working?