Respected Contributor

Re: YOGURT discussions......This is a ""no"" brand for me......

On 4/13/2014 Scotnovel said:
On 4/13/2014 KYToby said:

For those squeamish about fish gelatin, I cannot help but wonder what they think of actual gelatin and how it is derived. Hint: It is not from a packet in the supermarket.

Great comment - so right on point!

The only fish gelatin we knowingly eat is with gefilte fish at passover. We try to stay away from "gelatinized" food products.

Esteemed Contributor

Who is Carmine and what is he doing in my yogurt?
Frequent Contributor

On 4/13/2014 oceantown said:

icuryy,

I sometimes buy the Fage 0%. I like both the 0% and 2% Fage Plain Greek.

Mmmmmmm.......

photo DSCN2234_zpscdd74876.jpg

That is it! I sooo love it. Another thing I do is make a Fage parfait. Almonds, honey, coconut and add some pineapple. A real treat and so filling for lunch.

Trusted Contributor

For those wondering about carmine - it is a red food coloring made from a certain type of ground up bug, yes that is right BUG. It has been used for years in all sorts of things including foods, cosmetics & beverages. I don't believe it is used in Kosher foods.

Honored Contributor

For those squeamish about fish gelatin, I cannot help but wonder what they think of actual gelatin and how it is derived. Hint: It is not from a packet in the supermarket.

Hi Toby

That is a real good question. Most people don't realize what is in the products, unless they are avid label readers. I am sure that is why the manufacturers make the print so small now, half the time you cannot real it with a magnifying glass. Seriously!

I do not eat gelatin, unless it is organic vegetarian. I am not a total vegetarian, I eat fish (wild USA) but want the gelatin from veg sources. Even my vitamins. I would not be opposed to fish as a gelatin source, but not Tilapia. I just haven't used it yet.

Although who knows what they make capsules for RX's with?

Trusted Contributor

icuryy,

Thanks for the reply! Your Fage parfait sounds delicious!

Trusted Contributor

Just to clarify, I did not intend to be insulting to anyone wishing to avoid fish gelatin. My point was that we knowing eat a lot of things that is actually a bit more "questionable." I actually applaud those who are avid label readers as I think it is important than we know what is in our food -- particularly the manufactured foods that so many people rely upon these days.

Although I do not find fish gelatin squeamish per se, I actually do not eat fish (even gefilte fish at Passover).

Honored Contributor

most gelatin used to come from beef marrow; don't know if they use others sources now or not

Trusted Contributor

No place that I read does it mention any live cultures and the good parts for candida and intestinal issues.........

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

On 4/13/2014 lovesrecess said:

most gelatin used to come from beef marrow; don't know if they use others sources now or not

As I understand it, pigskin and other pork products is where most of it comes from now.