Super Contributor

Re: Wow- Rastelli Meatballs & Sauce $85.50.

The cost of those meatballs are not what concern me , is the meat used to make them. We all can prepare meatballs at a lower price, but in this case someone is doing the job and they have to be paid and I also know angus beef is not cheap. You look at the cost but no one look at the packaging or other things that are involve, I have worked in the food industry and those things take time to prepare believe me it is easy.For us to judge when we are not the person who do this for a living, prepared food without additives are always expensive. Those meatballs are made with three kinds of meat.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 

My grandmother had a basement kitchen as well...she baked a lot of fish there when my uncle came back from fishing.  I think the kitchen was used when my grandparents had a bar upstairs in the huge front room after Prohibition.  

My grandfather stored his homemade wine in the attached underground cave.  I had never seen barrels so huge.  Hated the smell and taste !  It took me until my mid-30's to get into " real " wine, lol !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

So just let me know when dinner is served and I'll be ready....😉 LOOKS YUMMY! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

We just have to coordinate with @mspatmac she's gonna join us for Sunday dinner🙂

Wouldn't that be fun!!!😉

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

I get confused by all the tomato products on the shelves

why would you buy the crushed tomatoes and wholed peeled tomatoes so you can crush it by hand - why not 3 cans of crushed tomatoes?

I never made Sunday Gravy (love the term and have heard it on TV) but would like to try - someone gifted me with homegrown cherry tomatoes and plan to roast them and then puree them - will be added to sautee onions + garlic

not a meatball maker either - would love to have a Sunday meal with you

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@homedecor1 

I get confused by all the tomato products on the shelves

why would you buy the crushed tomatoes and wholed peeled tomatoes so you can crush it by hand - why not 3 cans of crushed tomatoes?

I never made Sunday Gravy (love the term and have heard it on TV) but would like to try - someone gifted me with homegrown cherry tomatoes and plan to roast them and then puree them - will be added to sautee onions + garlic

not a meatball maker either - would love to have a Sunday meal with you

@Yahooey  From what some chefs say you get a better product when you buy cans of whole tomatoes as manufacturers make sure to put their best tomatoes there. They put pieces from not so perfect tomatoes in the cans of crushed tomatoes. That’s why I buy whole tomatoes.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

That makes sense about the whole tomatoes. Perhaps like the differences between mushroom stems and pieces versus whole mushrooms? 

I am going to start buying canned tomatoes whole!  Thanks for the tip!

Respected Contributor

@jpie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

That makes sense about the whole tomatoes. Perhaps like the differences between mushroom stems and pieces versus whole mushrooms? 

I am going to start buying canned tomatoes whole!  Thanks for the tip!

I only buy Cento San Marzano tomatoes in the yellow can.  I crush them by hand in a large mixing bowl.

Respected Contributor

I'm hungry.

I would just devour a huge plate of spagetti and meatballs.  Haven't had pasta in ages. 

As a teen I had a friend who's mother was Italian, and they always had something cooking on the stove.  I had lasagna and meat sauce over their house once and it was the MOST DELICIOUS meal ever.  The combination of the various meats - sausage, pork, beef and the red tangy sauce, and all the cheese - oh my - I'll never forget that delicious meal.

My mom never enjoyed cooking.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Spurt 

We just have to coordinate with @mspatmac she's gonna join us for Sunday dinner🙂

Wouldn't that be fun!!!😉

@homedecor1 

Can't wait....YUM!!! 😋😉

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”