Honored Contributor

Would you use this pan again?

[ Edited ]

I have an enamel Le Creuset stock pot. This summer we've been using it a lot for corn - at least once a week if not more. So I've been leaving it covered on the stove so it's ready to go.

We were away last weekend. I noticed an odor Monday and checked around the countertops. Couldn't find anything. I haven't used the stove all week (it's separate from the oven). It got stronger Tuesday, and I thought maybe a mouse had died inside the walls and that was causing it. That happened to a good friend of mine, and it took a long time for the odor to dissipate.

I went to get the pot a little while ago to get it ready, opened the lid, and YUCK! There was a dead mouse inside, with brown "lines" on the lid and on the sides of the pot. I took it outside for DH to deal with later. If I was alone, I would just throw the whole thing away! DH plans to get rid of it when he gets home, but he can't figure out how it got into a covered pot. 

So when I talked to DS - the second "science" guy in our family - and told him what happened he told me they can compress their skeletons and get in all sorts of places you wouldn't expect. 

We do have pest control outside, but DH doesn't want them putting anything around our kitchen because of our kitties - one who has a long-term medical situation. 

And if they are around, usually one of the kitties will find them.

So once DH takes care of it and rinses the pan with soap about 20 times, I'm just not sure I can ever use it again. I might take advantage of a Labor Day sale if I can.

What would you do? 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Would you use this pan again?

Clean it with a little bleach and then wash it.  The pot will be good to go.  Getting the image out of your head is a whole other matter.  Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

I'm with you, I don't think I could use it again.  Even though I know it would be clean, I would still know.

Honored Contributor

Even though it can be steralized there is always that thought in the back of your mind. 

Paint it a crazy color and use it for a flower pot.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I would toss the pot --- eeeeeeek.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m sure you could sanitize the pot with bleach, soap, boiling water, etc. My problem would be psychological. Every time I’d use that pot, I’d think “dead mouse.” I agree with the flower pot suggestion. I bought a great fake Le Creuset large covered pot at Aldi’s thanks to a heads-up on these boards. I don’t think it’s a product normally sold there but you might want to check it out since it has been a terrific pot and looks great in that bold orange-red. Of course there’s always the internet.

Regular Contributor

Your mice have good taste.  Why couldn't it have died in a cheap pot from Target?  I would have to throw it out because I don't think my family would eat anything that I would make in it.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom.  You're our second "mouse in the pot" story today.  What are the chances?

No way would I toss a Le Creuset pot.  Clean that puppy up and forget your hangups.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I’d hate to throw away le crueset, especially if it were an older one in good shape, but yeah, I’d be thinking dead mouse, dead mouse and one that had decomposed at that. 

Since it is sanitized you could donate it since it’s really only a psychological threat based on that memory 

Respected Contributor

I would throw it out.  No matter how you clean it, the pot may still have bacteria from the mouse. OMG