Honored Contributor

Re: Wok Cooking? Do you? Reevaluating my cookware…What To Keep, What To Toss…

Never had one or thought I needed one.

Honored Contributor

@amyb We used ours three days ago, and we use it almost every week for a big stir fry before we go get groceries.  We use up all the stuff that's still in the fridge. Greens, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, etc.

We look forward to the event.

Honored Contributor

I have no use for a wok.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@amyb We used ours three days ago, and we use it almost every week for a big stir fry before we go get groceries.  We use up all the stuff that's still in the fridge. Greens, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, etc.

We look forward to the event.

@Sooner I can relate. I do that as well, "kitchen sink" soups and stir frys, to use up the produce! I just do it in that bigger saute' pan. And this wok is small...not that practical or worth the space it takes up in my cabinet. 

But if you have the space I can see throwing together large stir frys in a bigger one. 

Truthfully, maybe it's the small size...I've never liked the way any meal I made in it came; comes much better, for whatever reason, for me...in that larger saute' pan.

Also...and I forgot to post this feature too...this one has a "hot handle"...I don't like handles I have to worry about using a mitt to handle it with...I'm much more likely to forget!

But I am interested to see everyone's "Pro/Con" answers here!

Trusted Contributor

We have two woks and use it all the time.  It's great for all sort of cooking, not just stir fries.  I use it to steam clams, fish etc.  As for storage, it does take up a lot of space in the cabinet, so DH put two hooks on the side of storage cabinet ( on the outside)  in the garage, so we can hang them up for storage. Prior to use, we give it a good rinse.  

Honored Contributor

I don't use the wok - got rid of it long ago.  As a matter of fact, my stovetop skillets/sauté pans get the most use out of any if my cookware, pretty near to daily use. Deeper pots are used on occasion, from time to time.

Honored Contributor

Good decision to donate @amyb . I'm sure someone will be happy to get it. My friend's granddaughter is a teen and loves to try ethnic recipes. I could see having fun  cooking stir fry.

Esteemed Contributor

I just purchased a nonstick one from Pampered Chef. I wanted it because it is large and is deep when frying up a large amount of hamburger. I have a large skillet but now I don't have food going over the side all the time. Oh, I don't use it for stir fry....I don't even care for that.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Many years ago I took cooking class at Williams Sonoma for using a wok.  I had planned on buying a wok and cooking up a storm.  Never got one.  

Honored Contributor

I tried wok cooking a few times and it was a mess! Now if I had a nice stove with a powerful exhaust hood and some knowledge about how to cook with it-- that would be different. Always ended up with a greasy mess everywhere---and mediocre food---threw the thing out!!! but I do love wok food!!!