Contributor

Wire baskets, trivets and lids

I spent all day cleaning after a very dusty construction job. A big part of it was washing all of the temptations sets that I (and I have many). One of the things I noticed was this huge pile of wire baskets and another huge pile of plastic lids. What do you do with all of these in your house. I am so out of space and I'm thinking of getting rid of the wire baskets at least. They are so pretty but so impractical to store unless you have only a few things. I'm just wondering how others deal with this before I make any quick decisions.

Super Contributor

Re: Wire baskets, trivets and lids

I find the wire baskets to be an obstacle in my life too. Most of my Temptations sit on higher shelves and I'm always having to be careful not to catch on those baskets and pull everything down. I'll throw mine out if you will!

I use the plastic lids as covers all the time though.

Highlighted
Contributor

I think I'm giving my wire baskets to the Goodwill and I will keep the covers. I thought maybe just a couple of each size and give the others away.
Super Contributor

I have more than a few sets of Temptations AND the covers, wire baskets & trivets. I very rarely use any of the accessories. One of my sets came with a insulated carry case that I have used some. I would prefer that the Temptation pieces DID NOT come with the accessories. Who has the space and the bakeware is pretty enough without the baskets, trivets and the covers which are a hassle. I have used a wire basket once or twice for bread or cookies but would rather have a reduced price on just the bakeware.
Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Yorkiebeebs said: I think I'm giving my wire baskets to the Goodwill and I will keep the covers. I thought maybe just a couple of each size and give the others away.

I don't know what Goodwill would do with those baskets. If they're useless with the Temptation ware then they'd be even more useless without....wouldn't they? Maybe someone could make crafty decor out of them or something with silk flowers I suppose.

Honored Contributor

For those of you thinking of throwing out your baskets, please do donate them to Goodwill or any similar charity. I worked for years in this field, and they will be able to put them in their stores for sale to support their programs.

I have about a bazillion sets of TT, and the baskets do get out of hand very quickly, and I think, even though they are smaller, the trivets are even more annoying. I have my baskets hung on peg board in the basement by size, because I hate to get rid of them. I think the pieces look higher end and more finished if they are presented in the basket, but I can't keep them in the kitchen because of space, and often don't take the time to use them. I want to keep them in case I would sell them or give them away, it would make a better presentation.

I have the plastic lids stored in laundry baskets filed by size and shape, because I do use them, but I have many repeats in size, so I just keep one of each size in the kitchen for everyday use.

Respected Contributor

I wish I had room to store them like that. I like the looks of them, but they don't stack well for storing. Mine are in a big pile in the basement.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

On 4/12/2014 kaybee said:
On 4/12/2014 Yorkiebeebs said: I think I'm giving my wire baskets to the Goodwill and I will keep the covers. I thought maybe just a couple of each size and give the others away.

I don't know what Goodwill would do with those baskets. If they're useless with the Temptation ware then they'd be even more useless without....wouldn't they? Maybe someone could make crafty decor out of them or something with silk flowers I suppose.

I agree kaybee, giving them to Goodwill would be a waste, IMO, I have many sizes and use them for different ways like putting fruit in them on the table, when having a get together I put a cloth napkin in a several of them & put my silverware in them, one for spoons, one for forks,etc. I do use mine almost all the time. I have an extra bedroom that I use as a storage room & have my extra baskets/trivets/covers stored in the closet on shelves.

Honored Contributor

On 4/19/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 4/12/2014 kaybee said:

I agree kaybee, giving them to Goodwill would be a waste, IMO, I have many sizes and use them for different ways like putting fruit in them on the table, when having a get together I put a cloth napkin in a several of them & put my silverware in them, one for spoons, one for forks,etc. I do use mine almost all the time. I have an extra bedroom that I use as a storage room & have my extra baskets/trivets/covers stored in the closet on shelves.

It is obvious that you don't understand the purpose of a Goodwill or thrift store. In the first place, as long as an item is in good, clean, usable condition, a good thrift store will be glad to have it to make money to support their mission.

Second, you don't understand the thrift store shopper. Many people planning functions like weddings, banquets, or craft projects scour the stores looking for items to use as parts of centerpieces, or to turn into decor objects and even garden art. Someone in these categories would pounce on a pile of nice TT carriers that would be offered up.

Just because you can't always see the function in something doesn't mean others who have a gift of thinking outside the box don't have great ideas for what others consider useless. Many things purchased in thrift stores are not purchased with their original use in mind.

I'd encourage anyone not liking any parts of their TT sets to donate them to a local thrift store. What is a WASTE is throwing away good things that others can use. Even crazed or cracked stoneware can be broken and used to make backsplashes (someone once posted this on FB, and it was stunning) and mosaic art.

Honored Contributor

I agree about donating the baskets. I think people would buy them for use with buffets, to put fruit out on the counter, maybe decorative soaps or other items in a bathroom, etc.