Regular Contributor

Re: Wire baskets, trivets and lids

I have not tried this but it would be an easy craft project. You could arrange the baskets on a wall and hang them. Then print out pictures to fit inside the baskets. Use the baskets as picture frames for fun pictures or children's art work that you can change out. That way you could take the basket down and use it with TT too.

Respected Contributor

I don't think there'd be a limit to what crafty people could do with them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Those wire baskets were the one thing that stopped by from buying any Temptations. They just would accumulate, and I have no desire to store things like that.

Not applicable

You know that cabinet over the refrigerator that you never use? I kept out one round, one 9x13 and one oval wire basket and put the rest in that cabinet. That way if I ever need it, I still have it but they aren't taking up valuable shelf space.

Respected Contributor

I have just one set, so mine are ok to store in the cupboard with the bakeware pieces sitting in their wire baskets, but there wouldn't be room for any more, so I will not be buying any more.
Valued Contributor

On 4/19/2014 rat2e said:

I have not tried this but it would be an easy craft project. You could arrange the baskets on a wall and hang them. Then print out pictures to fit inside the baskets. Use the baskets as picture frames for fun pictures or children's art work that you can change out. That way you could take the basket down and use it with TT too.

That s a great use of the baskets!! Never thought about using them for picture frames!! I really enjoy reading the different ways posters thinks ""outside the box"" for their TT!

Super Contributor

Or.. you could zip tie them together and make a sculpture for the yard!

Honored Contributor

Having been through several downsizings now, I'm getting better at picking and choosing, so I'd keep only the trivets and baskets I really use. The rest, I'd send off to goodwill because there are people who find creative uses for so many items I want to toss!

The other thing I've discovered as I've moved to smaller and smaller spaces is that there are no trivets and baskets and lids if I don't let myself buy new sets of dishes and bowls. I know they're fun to have, but I'm learning to get more satisfaction from actually using what I already own.

I'm making a side dish for tonight in a round casserole from a set that's at least 8 years old. It's a stripe pattern that I've never seen again since the year I bought it.

Honored Contributor

On 4/20/2014 millieshops said:

Having been through several downsizings now, I'm getting better at picking and choosing, so I'd keep only the trivets and baskets I really use. The rest, I'd send off to goodwill because there are people who find creative uses for so many items I want to toss!

The other thing I've discovered as I've moved to smaller and smaller spaces is that there are no trivets and baskets and lids if I don't let myself buy new sets of dishes and bowls. I know they're fun to have, but I'm learning to get more satisfaction from actually using what I already own.

I'm making a side dish for tonight in a round casserole from a set that's at least 8 years old. It's a stripe pattern that I've never seen again since the year I bought it.

Your post was quite timely. As I prepared the holiday dinner last night and this morning, I got out and used some pieces I hadn't used in quite some time. I have accumulated way more cookware in general than any three kitchens need, but I enjoy the collecting and the using.

I am having such a good time setting tables that mix TT, with thrift store solid plates, thrift store TT placemats (that were brand new in the packaging) and vintage linens I acquired second hand as well.

I set this magnificent table and buffet today with such a wonderfully complimenting mix of old and new, and had a great time using things I'd had awhile. I, too, got such satisfaction out of using things I had for awhile today, more that even buying something new to add to the collection.

Super Contributor

I love the baskets and the lids. I don't have to use trivets on my countertops. The lids are easy to snap on and I don't have to worry about plastic and tin foil going into the landfill.