Esteemed Contributor

When a recipe calls for white wine, what kind do you use?!

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59, I had the same question last week, so I looked it up and subsequently have purchased some wine that I will use for cooking.  

The article said to use chardonnay for poultry and pork, and to use pinot for seafood.

While I usually drink some type of blush wine (I have read that you should cook with what you drink), which I have used in recipes and it worked out well, I decided to buy the 4-pack of Barefoot and have already used the chardonnay.  It works well with poultry.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

I use whatever I have on hand. My go-to drink wines are Pinot Grigio and Savignon Blanc. I have tried some of the "cooking wines" but find they tend to be salty.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@nana59, I had the same question last week, so I looked it up and subsequently have purchased some wine that I will use for cooking.  

The article said to use chardonnay for poultry and pork, and to use pinot for seafood.

While I usually drink some type of blush wine (I have read that you should cook with what you drink), which I have used in recipes and it worked out well, I decided to buy the 4-pack of Barefoot and have already used the chardonnay.  It works well with poultry.

Thank you....didn't think to google it!  I will buy some Chardonnay....

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl We buy the 4 packs blush or Chardonnay too. Found 4 pack Cooks champagne for New Years. 

Honored Contributor

Anything I would drink.  I would never, ever use a cooking wine. They are gross.  As someone said, they are very salty.

What I drink is normally pinot grigio or some chardonnays so that's what I would use to cook with. 

Honored Contributor

The wine added in most recipes is minimal and not missed. I just disregard putting wine in and my recipe always turns out scrumptious. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Totally off topic, I love the 4 packs we usually buy them on vacation perfect size for a pre dinner drink

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I usually use Chardonnay, because that is the type of wine I enjoy drinking.  I too read that you should always cook with a wine you enjoy the taste of.

Honored Contributor

Pinot Grigio always