Frequent Contributor

Chicken breast date question...

If Chicken Breasts says sell by 1/15/18 and today is the 16th and you've had them in the fridge a couple of days...would you still cook them? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Chicken breast date question...

Yes, I would cook them one day after Sell By date. Even if they were in the fridge for a couple of days. 

Honored Contributor

When did you buy them and how long have you had them in the fridge?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, unless they looked and smelled bad.  I'm sure I've done that many times.  If they've been handled properly up to this point they should be fine, by my book.

Happy cooking.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I'dcook them providing they smell ok.  Nothing worse than the smell of chicken going bad.

Honored Contributor

No, I'd rather pass on that one.

Honored Contributor

I understand that the sell by date is the last day the store can sell them but they are still good for another day or two.If it says use by date then I would have to think about it.

Respected Contributor

The dates solely indicate freshness, and are used by manufacturers to convey when the product is at its peak. That means the food does not expire in the sense of becoming inedible. For un-refrigerated foods, there may be no difference in taste or quality, and expired foods won't necessarily make people sick.

HTH

Honored Contributor

YES, and without even giving it a second thought.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

When did you buy them and how long have you had them in the fridge?

@I am still oxox ITA. That's the better question. How long have they been in the fridge???

I have had food poisoning before so I'm careful when it comes to eating what or how long it's been sitting out etc.