Honored Contributor

My mother made the best pie ever with Dream Whip and mince meat.  I loved that--it was my favorite. 

I think it was Dream Whip.  It's the one they don't make any more. 

Regular Contributor

I remember making this stuff when I was a kid...believe it 's been a discontinuted product for years now

jello-1-2-3.jpg

Honored Contributor

My mom and I also make the whipped topping with whipping Cream.  The grand kids like the squirty stuff, which is ok if I don't want to make a run to the grocery store for whipping cream.  Grandma  liked cool whip.

Trusted Contributor

@Pipsqueak - I used to make this as a young Mom.

My young daughter loved it because it made its own layers.  My hubby and I were just talking about this  recently.  Wish they would bring it back.

Super Contributor

I buy heavy cream or whipping cream, depending on which is available.  Put about a tablespoon of powdered sugar in the bowl, add vanilla, add cream, and mix until it totally changes consistency and becomes whipped cream.  No substitutes in my kitchen period.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For some reason Cool Whip tastes like chemicals to me.  Never use it.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

For some reason Cool Whip tastes like chemicals to me.  Never use it.

Yeah - cuz it is.   Smiley Very Happy   My husband used to buy that and I put the kibosh on that one.  (He was fine - he just didn't know better)

One we like, if I don't want to do the work of buying heavy cream, etc, is the Land O Lakes one in the spray can that's sugar-free.  It's extremely tasty and nice, and actually made of cream.