Honored Contributor

Re: What's Cooking for March 2020

Our supper tonight was pulled pork, baked beans, mac n cheese, and deviled eggs.   

Trucker daughter is home catching up on sleep, and I’m doing her laundry.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Miserable time right now. Am sure it is not easy anywhere but there is something about California that makes it even more difficult. Very few things open - some restaurants are trying to do take out meals but it is not easy. Bless them for trying - hopefully they will survive this.

I think what bothers me more than anything else is how many are ignoring the basic rules - I have family members guilty of this and it upsets me tremendously and makes it even more difficult for those who are trying to stay healthy.

Cooking is not a big thing right now - yes, we have food, etc it is simply I just cannot stay up in front of a stove very long any more. Ahhh, to get old and the body also starts falling apart.

Last night we had frozen dinners - worked for me but obviously not my grands, I am furious with them, after I went to bed they really cleaned out my cupboards. They did NOT need anything else but they wiped out all the chips, etc so I guess that will be the end of that.. Of course I have some snacks for them but they are wiping out everything. NO ONE needs to eat all night long. I had bought two cans of chili to have one everning when AI needed an easy out for cooking. Both were eaten last night - it was NOT a snack. Grrr.

Everyone stay healthy and warm.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everone. winifred.what you wrote about your grads eating everything. that reminds me of my dad. my mom would cook super and thru the night he was allways snacking on stuff. we use to bust his chops and at night you must where a path in the floor all the trips back and forth to kitchen for a snack. and winifred when you mentioned canned chili. mon would buy hormel chili so if she made pasta and beans he wouldnt eat a meal without meat in it so when she made it she would open the chili and add pasta to it. so there were night after eatting is meal like 8 at night he would cook pasta and open chili for a snack.  sometimes next day he would tell me mom. wow i woke up with terrible heart burn. she would tell him.  and what do ou exspect. chili and pasta at 8 or 9 is not a snack to eat late. and that chili i buy you for a meal not a snack. so winifred when i read what you wrote i just had to write this. and mom would have all supper dishes washed and in the morning sometimes there would be all dirt dishes he used for snacks plus us when we were kids and she got ****** when she saw all them dirt dishes. the last couple nights have been leftovers of pasta and a meatloaf dinner some nights. good luck everyone  stay safe. 

Honored Contributor

I made a 9x13 breakfast casserole for our supper, with ham, potato, onions, jalapeño and sweet peppers, and mozzarella cheese.  I got one slice, husband had 2 slices, and trucker daughter took the rest with her, which will feed her for 2 days and keep her from having to look for a meal on the road.     

Respected Contributor

Came across the following book while cleaning/straightening, etc.

I thought you all would enjoy the following so am posting the story. This thread was started by Shirley aka Rabbit. We were also involved in the Back Fence Thread - a few still are. Yep, been around 20 plus years. At any rate, we submitted recipes for a booklet to be presented to Shirley's daughter upon her marriage. It is called "A bunch of recipes from The Back FEnce Ladies." The following are some who contributed - of course I have one or two in the book Also Linda Watkins, Lynn Schagene, Brenda Edman and Betty Yockey. Betty perhaps submitted the best one in the book. Her Favorite Recipe! "Put on my coat, get in the car, drive to the nearest restaurant. When completely done, get in the car, drive home, get in pjs and relax."  Also contributing were Sue Blackmon (she is so very much missed) , Sue Jager, Jody Clarkson. Almost forgot SHirley's special recipe Skink -Ka-Bobs . . .ya ketch a couple of skink and pitch em n a pot -----YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Some more - Martha Zierke, Marianna Kump, Gailee Graham, Sharyn Wiemann, June Dykeman, Marcia Dodge,. Also have several cute pictures of  little Meese - they are adorable. Lucia Tarantino also contributed and we had a real cute little Meese, name is Jed. This is the one he donated. Go to the store and buy some vanilla ice cream and some shredded cheddar cheese. When you get home let the ice cream get a wee tad soft. Then stir in the cheese and put it all in the freezer to get a bit hard. Then dig in! Yum!!!

This was published by The Merry Meese Cookbook Company.

Yes indeed we use to be a very active bunch. - and we had lots of fun!

Hope I did get them all.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  tell your daughter thank you for getting our supplies to where they need to go. It isn't any easy job plus add this virus too. We depend on them. Glad you cooked for her also. I am supporting our local business with take out have enough in freezer but figure help them out also less cooking for me. I think in time we may not be able to get local takeout from them if this continues. Trying not to panic but the local mom & pop may shut down.Hate to think it. 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I made a 9x13 breakfast casserole for our supper, with ham, potato, onions, jalapeño and sweet peppers, and mozzarella cheese.  I got one slice, husband had 2 slices, and trucker daughter took the rest with her, which will feed her for 2 days and keep her from having to look for a meal on the road.     

@RedTop,  Special Thanks to your daughter for the very important work she is doing.

Honored Contributor

Our supper tonight was spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread made from the last 3 hamburger buns (not letting anything go to waste).   

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. hope everyone is doing well. last week and going forward until everything goes back to normal. we ordered grocerys for us and mil from price rite got delivered by insta cart. this week were getting grocerys from peapod. this week maria made pasta with a tomato and olive sauce and tuesday she  made in the slow cooker ham,potatoes,celery,and baked beans and she baked bread to go with it. all was very good and lots of leftovers. hope everone has a great day.