Trusted Contributor

Re: What is your favorite salad to make??

I love potato salad but only make it in the summer. My recipe consists of Yukon gold potatoes, minced scallions or red onions, chopped celery and hardboiled eggs, fresh dill and parsley, salt and pepper. When the potatoes are still warm, mix them lightly with a mix of light mayo, chicken broth and 2 TBSP coarse grain Dijon mustard. This will help the potatoes to absorb the flavors. Then mix in all other ingredients. Chill at least 3 hours (preferably overnight) for flavors to meld.

Is it summer yet??!!

Regular Contributor

Spring mix greens, beets, goat cheese, candied almonds, balsamic vinaigrette.

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2015 lOVETOSHOP said:

I love potato salad but only make it in the summer. My recipe consists of Yukon gold potatoes, minced scallions or red onions, chopped celery and hardboiled eggs, fresh dill and parsley, salt and pepper. When the potatoes are still warm, mix them lightly with a mix of light mayo, chicken broth and 2 TBSP coarse grain Dijon mustard. This will help the potatoes to absorb the flavors. Then mix in all other ingredients. Chill at least 3 hours (preferably overnight) for flavors to meld.

Is it summer yet??!!

this sounds yummy!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

my favorite salad lately has been a mix of field greens and arugula. i add hard boiled eggs, some feta cheese (preferably bulgarian or french), raspberries or craisins, cherub tomatoes, baby cucumbers, glazed walnuts or pecans, red onion, won-ton strips or homemade croutons if i have them. so easy to put together and it looks beautiful also. make it in a shallow bowl or a large platter.....it looks a lot better than putting it in a bowl.

i serve either raspberry vinaigrette or a champagne vinaigrette with it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Have you eve had Cornbread Salad?

6 cups crumbled cornbread

2 cups mayonnaise

2 large tomatoes, diced

1 large green pepper, chopped

3/4 cup chopped or sliced green onions

3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans

2 stalks celery, chopped

1small jar pimentoes, drained

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all and chill at least 2 hours- makes a lot.

you can pretty much add whatever you want to this...bacon, red onion, jalapeño, black olives, etc....

Super Contributor

oOn 3/13/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:
On 3/13/2015 debc said:

Wendy's apple pecan with chicken. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

That sounds good!

Oh Boy, I love this salad. Always fresh and delightful. 5 stars.

Trusted Contributor

I like variations on Cole Slaw. I alternately use shredded red cabbage, carrots, peppers, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, various cabbages (Savoie, Napa, baby Boy Choy, regular cabbage). You can add apples, nuts, raisins, if you like.

Honored Contributor

Salade Nicoise

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have two salads I like.

1. Lebanese salad (recipe from a friend.) Cut leaf lettuce with a KNIFE into chiffonade strips. add in diced red bell pepper, diced tomato, red or Vidalia onion, green pepper. Top the salad with some garlic salt. Then dress it by dousing it with some olive oil and fresh lemon juice. This salad is eaten right after dressing it and it gets juicy, which is part of its charm. It's good with pita bread wedges or toasted pita and it doesn't keep. (We'd pass it around the table and the host, whose recipe this is and who prefers salad to sweets, even, would say "Everyone got salad, last call!" and then eat the rest right out of the bowl. His favorite food.)

2. Broccoli Slaw with Pomegranate Dressing (my recipe)

This is so easy, it's ridiculous. And it uses broccoli stems

Recipe serves 2-4 (2 as main meal, 4 for side salad)

3-4 broccoli stems, peel any thick skin and remove dry end

2 carrots

1 Gala, Braeburn, Granny Smith or any good dessert apple, peeled

1/4 cup moist-style dried cranberries

2 Tbs Pomegranate Vinegar (Trader Joes has it, Pompeian makes one as well.)

1 Tbs grapeseed oil or other neutral-flavored salad oil.

Shred vegetables and peeled apple in a food processor or on a grater. I use the coarse grater.

Stir in cranberries. Toss with pomegranate vinegar and oil.

Serve on a lettuce leaf, or in a bowl or to be fancy, slice an apple thinly equator-style (cross-wise making thin disks.) Lay five disks out on a salad plate and heap the slaw on top.

Trusted Contributor

A celery salad from Rachel Ray. I think she calls it celery succotash. Keeps for days without getting soggy and is crunchy and yummy. It has chopped celery, red pepper, red onion, shredded carrots, a can of chick peas, and some defrosted frozen corn. All topped with a simple lemon vinaigrette. Great as a side dish or as a stand alone lunch.