Honored Contributor

What is your bare minimum for kitchen equipment?

The thread Shanus put up about cooking beef stew got me thinking.  What is your absolute minimum for kitchen equipment?  I noticed slow cookers and pressure cookers were prominent in the answers.  I'm trying something new this winter cooking season, I put away the air fryer, pressure cooker and slow cooker.  Yes, I can do everything on the stove top or in the oven, but I'm wondering if my higher electric bill is a result of this experiment.  Obviously the range uses more wattage than anything else. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your bare minimum for kitchen equipment?

stovetop and oven for sure.

microwave

toaster oven

kitchen aid mixer

blender

ninja or food processor

i have never owned a pressure cooker or an air fryer and can live without my show cooker if i had to.....i can cook low and slow in the oven.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My Microwave and my Keurig.....thats all I need

Honored Contributor

My winter electric bill is always higher.......more lights on longer........water tank takes more watts to heat the icy cold water..........not to mention that heating is more expensive than air conditioning.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Refrigerator, microwave and maybe a dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

I’ve been in apartment for two years now, and my kitchen holds only what I use....other than the obvious stove and refrigerator, I use a microwave, slow cooker, toaster, Kuerig, electric hand mixer, mini Kitchenaid food chopper, blender.  My cooking pans are minimal...a large cast iron frying pan, Dutch oven, two smaller saucepans, a pizza pan, and two cookie sheets.  A cutting board, knife set, a few small things like stirring spoons, whisk, and spatulas.  A manual can opener.  Fiesta pie plate, cake pan and brownie pan, a metal loaf pan. A couple other Fiesta casserole dishes.  

I was was surprised how well I have been able to manage on a lot less “stuff.”

Honored Contributor

Other than the usual ... stove, fridge, etc.  I couldn't exist w/o the following.  (Electricity is included in my rent.)

Blender

Toaster

Toaster Oven

Coffee Pot

Slow Cooker

Food Processor

Microwave

Electric Mixer

Respected Contributor

I really don't know. I guess a fridge/freezer, burners/oven (any kind), a few pots/pan (cast iron pan, Dutch oven, 8" non-stick pan, a few pots, baking sheets, pizza stone), knives, spatulas, hand mixer, box grater and mixing bowls. Oh, fire extinguisher.
Esteemed Contributor

The only appliance sitting on a counter in my kitchen is my coffee pot. I don't have a lot of counter space, so I have a toaster, slow cooker and hand held mixer in a kitchen cabinet. I've become a minimalist in retirement!

Esteemed Contributor

Wow. Thinking back to what I had when first out on my own.....frypan/skiller, covered casserole and 2qt covered saucepan. Coffee maker came later.

Toaster is nice but you could toast in the oven. Microwave only heats coffee. Anything you need a KA for you can do by hand. 

No pressure cookers, slow cookers, air fryers, Keurig, food processers, ice maker, warming drawers, Ninja Anythings, hot pots, insta pots, no WP or Curtis Stone anythings.

I had no idea of what I missed ! 😁