Respected Contributor

Re: What is the name of that potato?

@ValuSkr 

According to good food dot com: "new potatoes have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes and unlike their fully grown counterparts, they keep their shape once cooked and cut.

They are also sweeter because their sugar has not yet converted into starch, and are therefore particularly suited to salads.  New potatoes aren't just small potatoes.  They are small because they're harvested early in the season before reaching maturity. Think of them as baby potatoes."

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr,

From what I remember my mil described them to me and I actually don't remember them being labeled as "new potatoes" in the store. I haven't bought them for a long time.

Does anyone else see them labeled as new potatoes in the store?

@alliswell, has a good description of them. They don't look like any others.4,524 Raw New Potato Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free ...

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I call them Russet, but I have seen them called Baking Potatoes too. 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay   @ValuSkr 

The nearest I've ever seen to new potatoes are these at Sam's Club, but usually they are plentiful in the late spring or early summer fresh from gardens & sold at farmer's markets:

Creamer Potato (5 lbs.)

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

@on the bay   @ValuSkr 

The nearest I've ever seen to new potatoes are these at Sam's Club, but usually they are plentiful in the late spring or early summer fresh from gardens & sold at farmer's markets:

Creamer Potato (5 lbs.)

@alliswell 

i buy these and they are so good, especially for roasting or for sheet pan meals.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Maybe it's my Irish heritage, but I love potatoes - boiled, baked, roasted, mashed or  french-fried.

Honored Contributor

Kennebec potatoes look similar to a new potato as far as the round shape and thinner skin; in my area these potatoes are usually packaged in heavy bags that are stitched closed, and have open mesh on the front for ventilation.  

They are very starchy potatoes, but are a number one choice for potato chips.  I only buy them for fried potatoes, shredded hash browns, or fries.  I can tolerate boiling them whole, mash with a fork on my plate and add butter, salt and pepper.  As traditional mashed potatoes, they are a waxy, starchy mess.   

Honored Contributor

Russet....thick skin, dark brown, oblong, usually fairly large, and so good,

but then I love all potatoes....like Bubba with shrimp in Gump.

Respected Contributor

Russett is what I grew up with mom calling them that.

But we probably also referred to them as "baking potatoes" (even though, we know they can be mashed and fried too!)

I recently heard someone in the south call them "Irish" potatoes...I don't think I'd ever heard of them referred to that way before.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was told as a kid that NEW potatoes meant this years crop and not what is left over in the root cellar.  Thus they are NEW Its not a kind of potato.  Unless you grow potatoes in your garden you dont get NEW potatoes.

When a recipe calls for new potatoes use any potato unless you can go out to your garden and dig new ones up.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)