Respected Contributor

Re: What is the name of that potato?

Russet:

Russet Potato | Bon Appétit

Respected Contributor

My favorite [Yukon Gold]:  

Yukon gold potatoes : Substitutes, Ingredients, Equivalents ...

Honored Contributor

They are larger russet pototoes.

Respected Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

Russet:

Russet Potato | Bon Appétit

My grocery list says Russet whenever I need this potato. I mash them, bake them, and fry them.

Super Contributor

Guess Walmart covers all their bases Woman LOL because I just bought two yesterday and I copied the way they came up on my order (they call them both Russet AND Baking Potatoes lol):

Russet Baking Potatoes, each
98.0¢/lb
Qty 2

(BTW - I rubbed the skins with olive oil and salt, poked all over with a fork and then airfried them, then topped simply with butter, shredded Mexican cheese and salt and pepper and my "enlongated brown potatoes" were yummy! A nice change from the airfried baked sweet potatoes I've been making lately.)
Respected Contributor

I call them Russets or Idahoes.  I sure wish I had bought them the other day.  I went to Aldi and they only had one kind of potatoes - I don't know what you call them except "regular" potatoes.  LOL  I'll be sure to get Russets or Idahoes in the future because I mashed those "regular" potatoes and they weren't *nearly* as good as Russets/Idahoes!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

He was definitely being a jerk.  But laughs on him.... he doesn't know it is also a russet?  After 32 years in grocery.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

I always dread when a recipe calls for "new potatoes."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

I always dread when a recipe calls for "new potatoes."

@ValuSkr,

My mother in law made the best I've ever tasted potato salad and she only used new potatoes.

Everyone always said they liked it the best they'd had.

So, I learned to make it and was asked to everytime we had a family gathering. It takes a lot of work and though very simple takes a lot of steps that have to be done just right!

I did have to try different stores sometimes to find those new potatoes. They do have a wonderful flavor and I think different from others.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  Are "new potatoes" labelled that way in the supermarket, or are they a specific kind of potato, just smaller?  I've never gotten that!