Honored Contributor

Will you try out a new recipe before a holiday or just "wing it" and see how it goes on the holiday?

Since I taught Foods and Adv. Foods, there are very few I have to "dry run first".

(Although I love the results!)!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Will you try out a new recipe before a holiday or just "wing it" and see how it goes on the holiday?

Since I taught Foods and Adv. Foods, there are very few I have to "dry run first".

(Although I love the results!)!!!

Oh you are lucky to be so knowledgable and to enjoy cooking~!

I'm afraid I'm a one trick pony for just about everything I make.... LOL!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have cooked long enough that I can usually tell by the recipe what it will taste like.  If in doubt I will do a test run.  In my family there is not much substituting allowed on Thanksgiving!

Valued Contributor

If I had found the recipe a couple of months before Thanksgiving I might have tried it out.  At holidays I pretty much stick to the "tried and true" recipes.

Honored Contributor

I make the same old stuff every Thanksgiving.  If I try to change anything., everyone howls.

I don't cook with recipes.  I only use recipes for baking and my family will eat any baked goodies.,, even the flops.

Respected Contributor

I often try new things for guests, and I often wing it, too. No disasters yet! I never learned to cook at home and, thank goodness, our schools did not require girls to take home ec, because the focus was college prep. But I taught myself, and we often cook together, too. I don't cook every day, but as the weather finally burns cool, I will cook more often. It is such a cozy thing to fill the house with yummy scents!

Honored Contributor

I like to slip one new dish in just to keep things interesting. It might only be a new cranberry sauce recipe, but it will be something. I was watching Valerie Bertinelli's Thanksgiving show on Food Network, and she made a simple sautéed mushroom and spinach that I thought I might try. It wasn't fussy, it just look good. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I make the same old stuff every Thanksgiving.  If I try to change anything., everyone howls.

I don't cook with recipes.  I only use recipes for baking and my family will eat any baked goodies.,, even the flops.

@CarmieHere too!  I guess they just love certain tastes together!  I guess we do too!

Honored Contributor

i generally have good instincts when it comes to recipes or ideas. i can usually read the list of ingredients and tell right away if it will be a winner or not. yes, i have been known to wing it, even at tried and true meals like thanksgiving.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I don't worry about it. For the most part on Thanksgiving I don't change the menu around too much. This year, though, I am trying several new recipes, even the way I do the turkey is changing. My family and friends know that I love trying new recipes and new ways to do things. My GF's husband has said more than once that they never know what they're going to be eating at our house, but he does know that it will always be good. 

So I'm chief cook and I make the decisions. There will be turkey and dressing and gravy; it just won't be the same as last year. (But really, how many ways can you roast a turkey?)