Honored Contributor

How Much Spice (Hot) Do you Like In Food?

I have always been SO sensitive to spicy things.  I get burned easily.  I LOVE tomatoes and I enjoy toco salad but I need the mild salsa.  

DH and our sons always ate jalapeno peppers and have even had "ghost" peppers!  They just loved it.  Me-no way!

How about you?

Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Spice (Hot) Do you Like In Food?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I have always been SO sensitive to spicy things.  I get burned easily.  I LOVE tomatoes and I enjoy toco salad but I need the mild salsa.  

DH and our sons always ate jalapeno peppers and have even had "ghost" peppers!  They just loved it.  Me-no way!

How about you?

@ECBG

Just last week, at a dinner in Budapest with some close friends, I was I 'encouraged' to try the hottest paprika made in Hungary, just a tiny touch on the very point of the spoon.  Thought I'd die.  I'm a wimp!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

How about you?

@ECBG

Just last week, at a dinner in Budapest with some close friends I was I 'encouraged' to try the hottest paprika made in Hungary, just a tiny touch on the very point of the spoon.  Thought I'd die.  I'm a wimp!

@DrytheNext time try butter!  Something about the enzimes!

Honored Contributor

Texas Pete is one of my paramours.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/23uzrjo.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

How about you?

Oh @ECBG I so understand what you are talking about.  In terms of me, I do not have the best developed palate but are always looking to expand my horizons but foods with spice can be an issue.  I made an absolutely delicious recipe that included chipolte peppers and even though I enjoyed it, it was truly too spicy for me (I would totally make it again but with one less chipolte).

Any tips or suggestions in terms of perhaps less spicy peppers would be greatly appreciated!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

How about you?

@ECBG

Just last week, at a dinner in Budapest with some close friends I was I 'encouraged' to try the hottest paprika made in Hungary, just a tiny touch on the very point of the spoon.  Thought I'd die.  I'm a wimp!

@ECBG

Oddly enough I know the answer!  It's called capsaicin, it's what makes pepper hot.  DH did a research study on the effects of capsaicin on height.  Water is the worst thing you can do, it just spreads the stuff around.  Oil, just as you said - butter, collects it and you can at least swallow it away.  

Funny those bits of info. we collect isn't it?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Any tips or suggestions in terms of perhaps less spicy peppers would be greatly appreciated!

Sweet peppers Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

How about you?

@ECBG

BUDAPEST?  And It's just a struggle to get DH to go out again after he's come in!

@DrytheI've always wondered if it's the training of the palette from a young age that makes the difference.  We don't hear (well, I guess we don't) of a hispanic child that won't eat the food.  I wonder if they slowly break them into the hot spices?

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

How about you?

@ECBG

Just last week, at a dinner in Budapest with some close friends, I was I 'encouraged' to try the hottest paprika made in Hungary, just a tiny touch on the very point of the spoon.  Thought I'd die.  I'm a wimp!

@Drythe

@ECBG

Your post made me laugh out loud . . . I have a friend who's husband is from Mexico and I swear he could munch on Scotch Bonnets like they were chips . . . I often ask him how on earth does that work as I would have the paramedics on speedial and he just laughs and says "practice" . . . sigh, I guess I am too old for practice . . . Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

None.