Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Much Spice (Hot) Do you Like In Food?

Hi Drythe!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I don't eat peppers of any kind; aside from the heat I don't even like the taste of green/yellow/red peppers, never mind the hot varieties.

I like barely spicy to medium, which of course is subjective. Mild-to-medium salsas. With Indian food (which I love) I have a "5 bite" rule. If I can take 5 bites of a meal without reaching for a drink, I can deal. But if I'm trying to put out the fire after 3 bites I just can't enjoy it. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I like spicy food but I do not like hot food.  When something brings tears to my eyes and burns my lips it is not enjoyable to eat.  

Contributor

I like flavor, not heat. I don't use or keep regular black pepper in my kitchen because I find it too hot. I do use ancho chile powder in many dishes because it gives flavor with the teeniest amount of heat. DH likes things spicy, so he keeps various hot sauces around.

Respected Contributor

You know that sensation when your lips feel like they're glowing and your nose starts running?  That. 

I admit, though, that there are peppers that I do not like to taste.  For example, habaneros taste like oily gasoline to me, so I avoid them.

I remember a Chinese lunch my boss and I enjoyed together.  The oil we ate was so hot he and I were simultaneously wiping our noses and agreeing how good the dish was.  A third person with us--who ate noodles--just shook her head at us.  She didn't 'get' it.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Occasional Contributor

The hotter, the better.  I was raised on spicy foods, so I thank my MOM for that 😍.  I am known for eating anything spicy and when I say to my co-workers, boy that is a little spicy, then they know it really is. LOL.  I will admit that I tried the Carolina Reaper pepper, and will never again 👍.  That was way too spicy, even for me!  

Respected Contributor

I used to love spicy food, but now my body says "no way."  Since I've had my gallbladder out the old body won't digest stuff like it used to.  When we went to New Orleans I had creole and gumbo the first day, then I was sick for the next 3 days.  It's not worth the agony anymore.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

You know that sensation when your lips feel like they're glowing and your nose starts running?  That. 

I admit, though, that there are peppers that I do not like to taste.  For example, habaneros taste like oily gasoline to me, so I avoid them.

I remember a Chinese lunch my boss and I enjoyed together.  The oil we ate was so hot he and I were simultaneously wiping our noses and agreeing how good the dish was.  A third person with us--who ate noodles--just shook her head at us.  She didn't 'get' it.  

@IamMrsG you know I always appreciate your posts and thoughts but I guess I need to climb a bit more up on the Scoville heat scale before I can enjoy a dish like this!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Hi Drythe!

@HonnyBrown

Sorry to hear that, I got mine the end of September because I knew I'd be traveling in October and November.  Hope you are all better soon!

Lord love you and your hot self!  You can have all the hot peppers in the world as far as I'm concerned.  Wish you could have tried that stuff in Hungary.  A tiny drop, I mean a quarter of a drop, and I had TEARS pouring down my face!  OH Ouchey WowWow!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, Drythe, you just made my mouth water.

I have some Hungarian Paprika that has a nice kick to it, but nothing like you described!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.