Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Was Your First Experience With A Microwave?

[ Edited ]

I didn't use it, I observed it. 😁

Guy I was seeing bought an Amana Radarange. Like $1,000 bucks in the day.  He believed it was a Babe Getter.

Yep, got me to run out of the kitchen like my hair was on fire!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The 1st time I used a microwave was in my apt in 1985 (when I was single and 13 yrs before I met my DH)...using my brand new large capacity Kenmore I bought at Sears.

The microwave is still working like new in our home...it is 34 years old now!!! Things just aren't made to last like that anymore. I also love it because it doesn't have a turntable.

Respected Contributor

I was at 4-H Summer School at one of my state's two universities, and an Amana representative did a demonstration of their new, not-yet-available-to-the-public, Radarange.  All of us in that particular "home-ec" class got to try it to see what it could do.  We melted chocolate fondue, as I remember, and dipped chunks of fruit in it with toothpicks, and also marshmallows, of course.  I remember, when I went home, telling my Mom all about it, and how we were going to want one someday.  What a fun question to bring up a happy memory, ECBG, thank you!

Valued Contributor

I'm guessing we got our microwave oven around 1969.  We were the first ones in the neighborhood to get one....I can't remember anyone else having one for years. My dad was a builder so he knew what was on the horizon.   It was attached above the stove and we called it an "electronic" oven and it even had a browning unit which was wonderful.  That thing lasted for years!

Respected Contributor

I remember this guy had a microwave cooking show which I would watch before I got a micro oven. My g/f was the 1st to get one and hated it so bad but she didn't want to throw it out it was a gift so she used it to store plactic wrap, alum. foil sandwich bags etc... 

Respected Contributor

Our first was a counter top model. I was baking potatoes and accidentally set it for 50 minutes instead of 5. Went to do something and lost track of time until I noticed it was on fire inside. Seems that once all the water was evaporated out of the potatoes, the starch caught fire. Our home insurance paid for a repair job. Lesson learned. 

Esteemed Contributor

My ex, who had to always be the first to buy a new anything, bought one around 1984.

After we were married he bought a huge one for my mother.

I remember them having dials for the time,LOL.

Honored Contributor

My dad was always the first to buy anything in electronics. I know we got one sometime in the 60's. I remember it was a big, huge box-like appliance that set on our counter. My mom was the cook since I was a kid in grade school. But I remember my mom saying it was the best coffee warmer upper on the market! Woman Very Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Microwave = Popcorn Making Machine 😀🍿

5D17D680-F929-49B0-941D-6F476890021D.jpeg

A2992EC2-8B5B-4182-9C50-423BFC3BED56.jpeg

Honored Contributor

DH's boss had some connection to buy these wholesale when they first came out in the early 70's.  It actually had a wire grid in the ceiling that browned your food when it cooked.  You couldn't turn that feature off, and the grid was constantly clogged with burned food.  I was relieved when we gave up and scrapped it.