Valued Contributor

Re: What Food Supplies Do You Keep for Winter Weather?

@gidgetgh wrote:

I live in Atlanta and we can get winter weather, including ice storms.  Ice storms are the worst. 

I don't really cook since it's just me, but if we have winter weather, AND the electricity stays on, I'm good for a few weeks. Baked potatoes, grilled cheese sandwiches, salad till I'd run out of produce, flat kind of tortilla pizza thingies, English muffins pizzas, canned soup, microwave rice and microwave Mac and cheese.  I might.....might...make some chili ahead of time.  Maybe.  

Now, if there is no power, I'd have to stock up on more things ahead of time. I always keep Laughing Cow cheese on hand because it doesn't need to be refrigerated, "squirt cheese", Buttercrisp crackers, canned artichoke hearts, salad, and I usually get the Hormel sliced pepperoni, because it doesn't need to be refrigerated either.   Oh, and I always have a more than ample supply of my favorite Publix cereal bars.  I have a gas stove so I could do canned soups, if I could figure out how to light the stove since it has an electric igniter. 

I always have plenty of water, juice and Coke Zero here.  

3B825298-6F2D-4B6B-8A29-F27554B8A3B6.jpeg

070D14ED-184B-49B0-B58A-CE2CF67D9804.jpeg

CBE795EB-1B65-4D83-82E0-27CD1A616C8C.jpeg

Hi Gidgetgh........I bet you that no one else will admit that they eat cheese in the can except you and I........I love it on crackers.

I wonder if you remember what you paid for the rice-a-roni?  I couldn't believe how the prices at Amazon went way up so I got a ton from Target at .90 each....cheapest price that I could find. I also have a gas stove and I light it with a match when electric goes off

Valued Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

don't forget pet food and treats

I buy chicken food, goat food, rabbit food and dog food from Tractor Supply and they deliver it 1 year in advance. Then the farm guy puts it all in rodent prove containers and stacks them up in the barn. Never forget the animals !

Esteemed Contributor

In Seattle we can get ice and/or snow storms where we cannot drive at all. Seattle is full of hills and bridges where driving is not something done safely by most people. Which is not to say there are not idiots out there who think they CAN drive on ice w/o proper traction devcies on their tires. Where we live we have been cutoff for more than a week.

The worst is when we lose power. Want to to see a grown man cry? Lose power for 5 days and lose all the salmon and halibut you have caught only to have to toss it all out. My poor hubby more than once lost everything out of our stand-alone freezer. Ugh. I do not buy extra to put in freezer during late fall and winter...just replace what we normally use. Bad enough to see the seafood get tossed.

My pantry is typically fully stocked with enough canned and dry goods to get by for at least two weeks without a trip to the market market. We do stock up on extra water in October, then just skip a trip in spring if we didn't need it. The other nice thing is we have vehicles that will charge our phones & tablets when we lose power.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Danky2 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I live in Atlanta and we can get winter weather, including ice storms.  Ice storms are the worst. 

I don't really cook since it's just me, but if we have winter weather, AND the electricity stays on, I'm good for a few weeks. Baked potatoes, grilled cheese sandwiches, salad till I'd run out of produce, flat kind of tortilla pizza thingies, English muffins pizzas, canned soup, microwave rice and microwave Mac and cheese.  I might.....might...make some chili ahead of time.  Maybe.  

Now, if there is no power, I'd have to stock up on more things ahead of time. I always keep Laughing Cow cheese on hand because it doesn't need to be refrigerated, "squirt cheese", Buttercrisp crackers, canned artichoke hearts, salad, and I usually get the Hormel sliced pepperoni, because it doesn't need to be refrigerated either.   Oh, and I always have a more than ample supply of my favorite Publix cereal bars.  I have a gas stove so I could do canned soups, if I could figure out how to light the stove since it has an electric igniter. 

I always have plenty of water, juice and Coke Zero here.  

3B825298-6F2D-4B6B-8A29-F27554B8A3B6.jpeg

070D14ED-184B-49B0-B58A-CE2CF67D9804.jpeg

CBE795EB-1B65-4D83-82E0-27CD1A616C8C.jpeg

Hi Gidgetgh........I bet you that no one else will admit that they eat cheese in the can except you and I........I love it on crackers.

I wonder if you remember what you paid for the rice-a-roni?  I couldn't believe how the prices at Amazon went way up so I got a ton from Target at .90 each....cheapest price that I could find. I also have a gas stove and I light it with a match when electric goes off

@Danky2 - full disclosure- I've never actually eaten the squirt cheese or the Laughing Cow cheese but I keep them on hand because they don't have to be refrigerated. I figure, better than nothing. 

And I don't have a clue what I paid for the Rice A Roni. It's been awhile and I didn't pay attention to the price. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357  Don't you love the people who think ice is no big problem.

Around here any man with a pickup truck thinks he is the male version of Dorothy Hamill.  They usually end up in a ditch or worse.

Unless  you are on ice  skates  or  driving a Zamboni, stay off the road when it is ice.

Respected Contributor

@Danky2 

To light your gas stove, which has an electric igniter, just use a match.

Turn the gas knob on til you hear the clicking of the igniter, and use your lit match.

Hope this helps!

(Actually, you can turn the knob PAST the part where you hear the clicking....the gas will be flowing out of the burner and you can light it. Don't dawdle....have the match lit and ready and then turn to gas knob on.)

Buy the "Strike on Box" wooden matches for emergency, or a barbecue lighter tool will work.

Or a lit cigarette!!!!

I keep my wooden matches in a Ziploc bag so they are nice and dry....humidity in the air can make them damp, but I've never had them not light.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since everything here is electric.

I do alot of cooking extras..things that I can defrost and eat at cool or room temperature (chicken, meatloaf,etc)

Shelf stable milk, cereals,lots of cat food which is still hard to get,litter...canned veggies, canned tuna and chicken..peanut butter, bread, canned juices,matches,instant coffee, otc meds..and scripts.

Sternos..if you but 5 or 6 of them in a low pot and put a metal cooking rack on top of the  sternos ..you can heat some water..but it takes awhile..I've done  it on top of my metal table.

Ice melt and my snow plow guy on speed dial.

I forgot extra cases of water...We have been stuck in for a couple of weeks..we do ok..as long as the power stays on 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to the suggestions already made about nonperishable food....I also listen to the weather every day and keep my gas tank full, and I always have cash on hand in the safe because long term power failure can mean the ATM won't work either.

Loss of power can mean the gas stations can't pump gas. I live in NW PA where we get a lot of snow...and gasoline is delivered by tanker truck that may not be able to travel on the roads if it's bad enough....

I still have food left in my little pantry from Covid panic times that I am trying to use up.

I don't like canned food, but it's good to keep some on hand just in case.

I will say in 24 years of living here,I have NEVER been "trapped" by weather and we get a lot of ice and lake effect snow. I live on a ridge where the blowing snow makes roads impassable sometimes, but the State is really good at keeping things moving.

As long as school has to open, they do a good job here....

I'm retired too, so I plan ahead to not have to go out in a storm. I hate driving on ice and snow covered roads and will do anything to avoid doing so.

I have cats and use litter that comes in plastic screw top containers. When they are empty, I fill them with water and keep a bunch of them in the basement. I have a well, and power failure means the well pump stops. I use that water for toilets and for washing ( after boiling on the stove.). I keep bottled water for drinking and coffee.

I have a ventless gas heater in my basement that will work without power source. It's a lifesaver when the heat goes off. Wont' heat the house to 80, but will keep the pipes from freezing if it had to. And I could sleep beside it if I had to, but I think I'd drive to the next town and sleep at a Holiday Inn til the power came back on!!!!

I used to worry about the house...freezing pipes,branches falling on the roof, etc....but I've been paying home insurance premiums for 50 years and it's about time that IF some catastophe happened, I would not hesitate to put in a claim.  That's what it's for.

Of course I do everything I can to mitigate damage, but sometimes weather and nature have other plans.

PS; Know where your water shut off valve is if you live where pipes can freeze. At least if there is a prolonged power outage and your pipes freeze ( if you have hot water heat like I do) the damage will be minimal if the water source is turned off).

Could also turn off the breaker to the well pump if you have a well like I do and you DON'T know how to turn off the water. Find out which breaker it is before a storm hits!!!!)

Of course if you have a well pump and it's off during the power failure, water will come back on when the power comes back on, and if there's a broken pipe, hello flood.

Better to be prepared!! And sometimes, you won't know if there IS a frozen pipe with a leak in it until the water and power does come back on.

So another reason to know how to turn it off quickly!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

Since everything here is electric.

I do alot of cooking extras..things that I can defrost and eat at cool or room temperature (chicken, meatloaf,etc)

Shelf stable milk, cereals,lots of cat food which is still hard to get,litter...canned veggies, canned tuna and chicken..peanut butter, bread, canned juices,matches,instant coffee, otc meds..and scripts.

Sternos..if you but 5 or 6 of them in a low pot and put a metal cooking rack on top of the  sternos ..you can heat some water..but it takes awhile..I've done  it on top of my metal table.

Ice melt and my snow plow guy on speed dial.

@Jo1313 

Oh the sterno idea is excellent. We have gas stove, wood burning smoker and wood fireplaces, but I have relatives who only have electric. I will share your idea. Thank you. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

bottled water

batteries

extra kitty litter

crackers

bread

cereal

wine