Honored Contributor

Do you use a food vacuum sealer and what brand?

[ Edited ]

I purchased a food saver  Smiley Frustratedeal a Meal in August of this year for $47 from Walmart. Love it and saves space in my small freezer .  Used it the other day and then it stopped working. I only used it for 3 packages of meat. I let it cool and tried again and didn't work. In process of sending it back and will get a refund. I have been researching vacuum food sealers and the reviews are very mixed. Trying not to spend  a whole lot. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you use a food vacuum sealer and what brand?

@SouthernBee   I have used the Food Saver since they first came out. I think I'm on my second one. Since I live alone it's perfect to divide the packages of meat I buy at the store. Everything seems to come packaged with 2 or 3 per package. I divide them up into single serve.

Super Contributor

I also have used the Food Saver since they first came out.  The one I am using now is about 10 years old and going strong.  I would not be without one and would stick with the Food Saver.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@SouthernBee   I have used the Food Saver since they first came out. I think I'm on my second one. Since I live alone it's perfect to divide the packages of meat I buy at the store. Everything seems to come packaged with 2 or 3 per package. I divide them up into single serve.

@grandma2pkmh : Thank you for taking the time to respond .

Honored Contributor

@Wiskota wrote:

I also have used the Food Saver since they first came out.  The one I am using now is about 10 years old and going strong.  I would not be without one and would stick with the Food Saver.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Respected Contributor

We're on our 2nd Food Saver brand.  We use it every day.  It's a life saver.  Never tried another brand.  When it dies, we'll quickly replace it.  Smiley Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

I don't use mine as much as I should, but I do love it.  I am also on my 2nd one.  The first one I had came in two pieces and I continued to use the handheld vacuum part after I upragded to a newer machine.  I couldn't really advise on which model is better. 

I like mine because it is upright and can sit on a narrow shelf my husband installed underneath the bump-out for a bar-top that we never used in that manner so don't need the space for stools.  There happens to be a plug there, so I can just go over there to do smaller things, but for larger items I can move it to the counter.  It has a sensor inside to detect when the bag is inserted all the way and starts automatically.  The one downside of that is that you can't double seal without tricking the sensors. 

Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

We're on our 2nd Food Saver brand.  We use it every day.  It's a life saver.  Never tried another brand.  When it dies, we'll quickly replace it.  Smiley Happy

@spent2much : Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't use mine as much as I should, but I do love it.  I am also on my 2nd one.  The first one I had came in two pieces and I continued to use the handheld vacuum part after I upragded to a newer machine.  I couldn't really advise on which model is better. 

I like mine because it is upright and can sit on a narrow shelf my husband installed underneath the bump-out for a bar-top that we never used in that manner so don't need the space for stools.  There happens to be a plug there, so I can just go over there to do smaller things, but for larger items I can move it to the counter.  It has a sensor inside to detect when the bag is inserted all the way and starts automatically.  The one downside of that is that you can't double seal without tricking the sensors. 

@Icegoddess : Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will do more research. I still have 4 rolls of the bags.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always purchased FoodSavers.   My current one has to be at least 10 years old.   Love it!