Respected Contributor

Re: What Are Summer Food Combinations You Love?

Fresh summer tomatoes.  I make BLT's all summer long and I like them with fresh mozzarella & a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar.

Regular Contributor

Cantaloupe half filled with vanilla yogurt, sunflower seed topping.  Ate this daily when preggers.

Seannie

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the posters that mentioned a fresh bread sandwich with sliced heirloom tomatoes, mayo and salt, pepper. Really, any sandwich that I can make with heirloom tomatoes is heaven to me.

Fresh corn on the cob...always a fave. I cook it in milk and butter....the flavor is incredible.

And I'm always happy with a good grilled burger or hot dog with fresh homemade macaroni salad.😊

Honored Contributor

I love a plate of cranberry, pinto or great northern beans, cornbread, wilted lettuce and onion salad, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.   

I also like fried chicken, corn on the cob, cucumbers and vidalia onion slices in vinegar, and sliced tomatoes.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can't possibly enjoy  one of these without  having all three of them at the same meal.........

--Barbecued pork, chicken or beef on a bun

--Cole Slaw

--Baked beans simmered or oven-baked with chopped         onions, green peppers and ketchup and mustard.

Esteemed Contributor

A really good hamburger on the grill with potato salad and fresh green beans from the garden.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Speaking of tomato, etc. sandwiches, if you don't care for mayo I recommend the Laughing Cow swiss and other spreadable cheese wedges - especially on toasted bread. 

Yum...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Corn on the Cob, with butter/salt/pepper and Old Bay.  With ice cold watermelon.  Yum!  That’s a perfect summer dinner to me!

@grandma petes. What does the milk do for the flavor?

Respected Contributor

Slaw made with cabbage,carrots,onions, and green peppers. Add some salt,pepper, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

Trusted Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

Corn on the Cob, with butter/salt/pepper and Old Bay.  With ice cold watermelon.  Yum!  That’s a perfect summer dinner to me!

@grandma petes. What does the milk do for the flavor?

The milk and butter helps retain the natural sweetness of the corn without making it soggy like boiling in water sometimes does. It really does make a difference in the taste and texture of the corn.😊