Trusted Contributor

Re: Washing Iceberg Lettuce--Do you . . .

@vabreeze wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Ugh. I don't buy iceburg lettuce. There is absolutely no nutritional value to it at all. 

here are many other lettuces out there that have great benefits! 

Au contraire!!! Per web md:

"Lettuce and other leafy greens make up an important part of a healthy diet. Iceberg lettuce is known for having a crisp, crunchy texture and a mildly sweet flavor. This makes it a favorite in many homes and restaurants, and with children who may not like more bitter greens. 

Health Benefits

Iceberg lettuce is a great bridge food for people who don’t eat enough other vegetables. It has a mild, sweet flavor and a pleasant crunch. And while iceberg lettuce gets a bad reputation for not being as nutritious as other lettuces, it’s packed with Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and folate. Iceberg lettuce can offer a range of important health benefits for you and your family. 

Improve Blood Clotting

Iceberg lettuce is packed with Vitamin K, which has been shown to help with blood clotting. 

People who have issues with blood clotting may benefit from a diet high in Vitamin K. Still, Vitamin K deficiency is extremely rare for most people. If you do have a history of bleeding disorders or liver disease, you may want to check with your doctor to see if you could benefit from more Vitamin K in your diet."

"

If you are on blood thinners, extra K is dangerous.  Green leafy vegs are not my friends.

Honored Contributor

@northiie57 @vabreeze @ID2 

I don't think greens or other foods react with Eliquis an some of the newer meds. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@northiie57 @vabreeze @ID2 

I don't think greens or other foods react with Eliquis an some of the newer meds. 

Yes correct.  But I cannot take Eliquis with my blood disorder, just got to watch and maintain my K intake.  

Contributor

I learned to slam iceberg on the counter to remove core and never cut with a metal knife(causes parts touched with metal to turn rusty brown quickly) from Tupperware party 55 years ago.  The Tupperware Lettuce keeper was wonderful.  Lettuce stayed crisp and fresh for a very long time. Recently purchased Progressive PrepWorks 2-piece Produce ProKeepers from HSN and the larger one is working just like the tupperware.  My lettuce has been in contaainer for over 2 weeks and still crisp and fresh.  This, unlike the tuppereware lettuce keeper, will hold Romaine lettuce. Love it so far.

Honored Contributor

The hospital dietician who met with me about my special food needs, prior to both knee surgeries, told me it was safe to consume my normal amounts of lettuce while on Warfarin.    

If I normally ate lettuce on a sandwich, or ate a small salad daily, continue to do so.  However, it was not the time for me to increase my lettuce, or greens, consumption.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 

I have also heard that it has little nutritional value but I purchase for my taco salad - other lettuce just not crispy enough.  I just purchased organic iceberg today and was surprised it was decent size.  I tear off chunk and soak a few minutes in water with veggie wash added.  Then rinse and use salad spinner.  Pretty much use all for taco salad.