Honored Contributor

Washing Iceberg Lettuce--Do you . . .

Do you take off the outside leaves and then wash the whole head?  Or do you take it all apart and wash it?

Sometimes I just wash the whole head after I peel off the outside layers, and feel terribly guilty about it!  Woman Embarassed

How do you do it?  I like to take it all apart, wash it in water, rinse 3 times and spin dry.  But sometimes. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Iceberg Lettuce--Do you . . .

I take it completely apart, remove the core and thick ribs, and rinse thoroughly.    The guinea pigs have a feast on the parts I take out.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner I remove the outside leaves, then remove the core by cutting around it. After the core is gone, I hold the lettuce head under running water and break it open where water can penetrate.  I pay particular attention to the outside and core because of all of the recalls. I have no way to know if this is proper procedure. It is just what I do that makes me feel safer. Of course, I allow the water to drain by putting the core side down.

Honored Contributor

I peel the outer leaves, core it (by slamming it core side down on the counter), then rinse and drain.

I wrap the head in paper towels and put in a Debbie Meyer green bag, it lasts for at least a month.

I change out the paper towels when they become damp, dry them out, then rotate them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner I do it just like you...without the guilt. 😆 Then I do like @KingstonsMom  and put it in a Debbie Meyer  container, haven't tried her bags. It does help it remain fresher longer.

Respected Contributor

I take the outside leaves off.  Cut/break into pieces and wash.

Honored Contributor

You wash it?

J/K

I do what @KingstonsMom  does but I honestly cannot tell you the last time I bought iceberg lettuce.  

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Sooner I remove the outside leaves, then remove the core by cutting around it. After the core is gone, I hold the lettuce head under running water and break it open where water can penetrate.  I pay particular attention to the outside and core because of all of the recalls. I have no way to know if this is proper procedure. It is just what I do that makes me feel safer. Of course, I allow the water to drain by putting the core side down.

@On It 

I do exactly as you do.  The leaves are tight enough to be clean.  I do remove all visible ribs since they go bad quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do the same as some of you: remove outer leaves, slam the core against the counter and remove it, run water into the core and over the outer leaves, drain it core side down, wrap in a few pieces of paper towels and then store in a green bag in the crisper. Lasts for weeks and is perfectly crispy for sandwiches!

Respected Contributor

I prefer not to wash produce before storing.  To store, I remove the core and put the head into a decades-old Tupperware bowl designed for that purpose.  

An hour or so before I want the lettuce, I take off the portion I want.  If it's to be shredded or chopped, I do that with a plastic knife, otherwise leave the leaves whole, then wash.  After spin drying the lettuce, roll it inside a clean towel and put back in the refrigerator (or freezer if I'm in a hurry) to crisp.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.