Respected Contributor

Warning about copper poisoning from Moscow Mule mugs

Experienced foodies and cooks probably already know about the interaction between metals and acid foods prepared or eaten from them, but this is recent news that has appeared in at least two major metro newspapers (Washington Post and Atlanta Journal & Constitution...........

http://www.ajc.com/news/world/calling-all-moscow-mule-lovers-those-copper-mugs-could-poisonous/2wAuu...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Warning about copper poisoning from Moscow Mule mugs

I have a set of four but mine were purchased to decorate with... small flowers or something that I can use without any plans to eat or drink from them.

Honored Contributor

we use ours for moscow mules, but the ones we have are lined in stainless or  nickel.....so i guess we are safe.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting that!

So creepy, I have one and I think the inside is aluminum but hey thats not much better!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

RE: acidic effects on aluminum and vice versa

Many years ago, my  son got some kind of recognition for a school science fair project after I suggested he test some strips of aluminum foil and pieces cut from disposable aluminum casserole-style pans in various acidic  and similar harsh types of liquids.

As I recall....(this was many years ago), we put the aluminum pieces into various  glass containers of orange juice, vinegar, tomato juice, Coca-Cola (which is known to erode teeth), lemon juice, etc.

After sitting in those liquids for days on the  sunny kitchen window sill, the aluminum  strips showed  some "interesting" symptoms.

The goal of the project was to prove that cooking or storing certain foods  in aluminum pans (which were common  in kitchens at the time) might not be a good idea.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does that also apply to Copper Chef cookware?

Respected Contributor

I find this interesting because I have been diagnosed with copper deficiency...which I have been told is pretty rare..I have been taking a copper supplement and was told by my Hem/Onc that "it's pretty hard to get too much copper"..

Moscow Mule in the mug is my drink of choice! LOL?..

i have my copper tested monthly and after 6 months, am barely in the therapeutic range now...

Respected Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

Does that also apply to Copper Chef cookware?

Copper Chef cookware is not made of copper.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

RE: acidic effects on aluminum and vice versa

Many years ago, my  son got some kind of recognition for a school science fair project after I suggested he test some strips of aluminum foil and pieces cut from disposable aluminum casserole-style pans in various acidic  and similar harsh types of liquids.

As I recall....(this was many years ago), we put the aluminum pieces into various  glass containers of orange juice, vinegar, tomato juice, Coca-Cola (which is known to erode teeth), lemon juice, etc.

After sitting in those liquids for days on the  sunny kitchen window sill, the aluminum  strips showed  some "interesting" symptoms.

The goal of the project was to prove that cooking or storing certain foods  in aluminum pans (which were common  in kitchens at the time) might not be a good idea.

It was common years ago but for as long as I can remember, my mother always told me to put leftovers into corning ware or pyrex and to never put a metal pan with leftovers in fridge.  By the same token I always hated buying tomato paste bc you rarely used it all up and if it was put in something glass in the fridge it always got "overlooked" before it needed thrown away.  Love that now it comes in tubes like toothpaste.