Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S COOKING IN MAY 2018?

Had Stouffer's Lasagna last night for dinner. Unusually good!!!! Was going to also fix some garlic toast but decided not to do that but did have potato salad as a go with. Only one small piece left. Davey wasn't here for dinner - guess that explains why any was left over. LOL.

Yesterday also super warm - in the high  80s - more of the same today and perhaps a couple degrees warmer. then the temp drops again. Crazy weather out here in Sou Cal this year.

Yesterday was a day of remembrance for those who paid for our freedoms.Being from a military family it always means a lot to me but this year just was not able to go over to the National Cemetery. My age has slowed down participation in a lot of things near and dear to me.

Hope all have a great day today!!!

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone.in the 80s today and cooler tomorrow. for dinner yestauday maria made  chinese chomain with celery and mushrooms over rice. it was super good. had company over today someone i use towork with. picked up pizza and pastry from bakery. tonight for super i told maria if you dont feel like cooking tonight because its hot we can have last nights leftovers but she said lets just have the pizza. im fine with that to. today was father inlaws 1 month aniversery so we took anna to cematary to put flowers on grave.hope everyone had a good holiday weekend and have a good week.

Contributor

Hi Everyone,I  haven't been here in awhile. I just made an easy meal of tacos, everyone loves them. I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. I had a younger brother who was a Sgt. in the Marines, it was a sad day for me. To top off my day I had a colonoscopy prep to do yesterday, hooray that's over! Wishing everyone a blessed day filled with good health and peace.

Honored Contributor

My kitchen reopened tonight after a week long break from cooking full meals.   Tonight’s supper was ham steaks, oven roasted potatoes, (a sweet potato for me), baked beans, cole slaw, and apple pie for dessert.  

Respected Contributor

1905salad, glad to see you back. Yesterday held memories for me too, my older brother, died at 47 due to Agent Orange - he was an Army Ranger and my 27 year old Uncle (WWII) an army pilot, this was in 1943 and I remember it vividly when I was told his plane went down.

Glad to see some good eating going on - am probably going to have ham tonight but as of now have no clue as to go withs other than I still have potato salad in the Fridge. I bought a big slice of ham, have not fixed that in years and years - about time. Took it out of the freezer yesterday so it should be ready to go tonight.

Davey, Ricky and I will deliver three BIG jugs of Clorox to YAPS today - they put out a SOS Friday and I got them from Sam's Saturday but due to the weekend and holiday and other things have not been able to get it up there yet - they are our animal rescue agency and rely 100 percent on donations - they are super!!. Davey has no school so it will work just fine.

Got a tad cooler this a.m. and we may have some drizzle.

Hope all have a great day and everyone continue to eat well.

Honored Contributor

All leftovers this, and ball game on Friday, no cooking for me, yipeeee!!!

Last night DH ate leftover frittata, tonight leftover pizza, tomorrow night leftover pasta, no dinner on Friday, so will cook Saturday and Sunday.

Last Saturday, DH brought pizza home, everything but the kitchen on his, a gourmet veggie with white garlic sauce for me, and his was so large, two meals of leftovers for him.

Went from high 80's to low 60's in a day, yesterday was somewhat warm, but today is cold and very windy, hate wind.  I wish we would get weather breaks like this during the summer heat, but that never happens, so am trying to brace myself for the misery to come, lol.

Bon Appetit!

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. its in the 70s down here. last night for dinner maria made mexican food. hamberger chick peas corn cheddar cheese crushed tomatoes over nacho chips. it was really good. hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

I was tired so Davey and I hit Bob's Big Boy yesterday - every time I go there I think of my Mother. She LOVED going to Bob's but when she was alive there was none right here. Had to take her almost every Sunday to Redlands to go. They closed all of them and a good 10 years after we lost her they built one right here just a few blocks away. Wow!!! Their food is always super good but like every where else, it has gotten so very expensive. Speaking of restaurants many of ours are now closing completely or closing early afternoons. Interesting.

Have left overs in the Fridge so not sure what we will have for dinner. Do not expect either kid back until tomorrow but that often changes. Ricky went yesterday with Wendy - she loves him and had two days off in a row but we shall see as she was not feeling any too great last night. Leah is with Kerry and they never want her to come back here. LOL.

Hope all have a great day. 

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

I was tired so Davey and I hit Bob's Big Boy yesterday - every time I go there I think of my Mother. She LOVED going to Bob's but when she was alive there was none right here. Had to take her almost every Sunday to Redlands to go. They closed all of them and a good 10 years after we lost her they built one right here just a few blocks away. Wow!!! Their food is always super good but like every where else, it has gotten so very expensive. Speaking of restaurants many of ours are now closing completely or closing early afternoons. Interesting.

Have left overs in the Fridge so not sure what we will have for dinner. Do not expect either kid back until tomorrow but that often changes. Ricky went yesterday with Wendy - she loves him and had two days off in a row but we shall see as she was not feeling any too great last night. Leah is with Kerry and they never want her to come back here. LOL.

Hope all have a great day. 

@Winifred  I havn't heard you mention Wendy and Kerry.

Re Big Bob's, in my childhood area, there was one, and I remember the hamburgers were great.  There was a wonderful Italian deli and market, all sorts of wonderful establishments, including a soda fountain in an old fashoined drugstore.  I am sure there was a lot of history there, but I was too young to even think of it, may do some researching on that.  All gone now, and for many decades.  I havn't been in that area since the eighties when I had to empty my Mother's house, where I grew up, after she passed.

I used to be able to walk to these places, very long walk, but I was young and it was easily doable, also walked to the barn to see my horse.  The world has changed so much since then, good in some ways, sad in other ways, and bad in some ways..

Honored Contributor

Since DH was having his leftover pizza last night, I asked him to stop on the way home and get me a gourmet vege pizza.  I am so lazy during very cold weather, like a bear, want to hibernate, such as this week, but next week the heat will begin, so should be more motivated.

I accidentally thawed a flank steak, removed it from the freezer to find something, and never returned it, so will probably make stir fry tonight with half of it, and grill the other half over the weekend.  It is in an airtight container, and so should be fine, as it only completely thawed out yesterday.  

DH is going to Costco tonight, wonder which items he will say he couldn't find, and which items he substituted though I have told him NO substitutes, lol.  It's always a surprise, mostly surprised when he brings home the exact items on the list, lol.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Smiley Happy