Respected Contributor

Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Grill reviews anyone?

I've been looking for a decent sized grill to use for everyday grilling outside but also and mainly when I don't have power like I didn't last September when we had the hurricanes.  I wanted to be able to grill/griddle/pan/pot cook on it for great flexibility, but not be several hundred dollars into a grill.  I didn't need something fancy but flexible.  I settled on the Coleman Roadtrip XLE.  I got it on Amazon.  I wonder if anyone else has one and any tips they might have to share regarding use, moving it, cooking on it, and storage.  I did get a cover for it if I leave it outside while it is cooling but plan to keep it inside when not using/cooling.  I also plan to line the bottom with foil for easier cleaning along with the drip pan.  Thanks for your advice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coleman Roadtrip LXE Portable Grill reviews anyone?

I am looking at this one for the same reason.

Gourmia-GBQ330-Portable-Charcoal-Battery

I like the one you chose but my DD doesn't want propane so this one has a fan that runs on batteries.  Plus, smaller to store.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills  The Gourmia one is a nice idea for 1 or 2 people.  It is small.  I am the opposite of your daughter.  I didn't want to deal with charcoal and having to store it until the storm.  I can get two 30lb propane tanks and be good for the typical power outage time here in south Georgia.  I also wanted something that I could use a pot or pan on for those items I couldn't grill.  This year I'm buying a few gallons of water every time I go grocery shopping along with canned goods.  I'm also going to invest in some solar Luci lights.  They are these 6" or so cubes that blow up on one side and have a solar cell on the other.  I'm also getting one that has a USB port for charging my phone and Kindle.  These will be a Godsend.  I had to drive around to charge it last September but I did get to follow the power lines to report any downed lines the electric company didn't know about.  

This one has ports for charging.

And the Luci light is very small and bright.

MPOWERD Luci Outdoor 2.0 - Inflatable Solar Light, Clear Finish, Adjustable Strap

I'm also thinking of investing in a small solar panel to keep the fridge and freezer going versus a generator.  I haven't made up my mind yet as I'm still doing research into those.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss

Where do you purchase the lights?

Respected Contributor

The big A river in South America online shop.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have most of the stuff we would need.  We didn't have a way to make coffee!  Will have this year.  I have LED lanterns and plenty of battery candles.  That's not a problem. 

I am concerned about enough sunlight to run anything solar.  Just this past week we haven't seen the sun.  Not sure they would get enough light.  

This grill only uses 10-12 pieces of charcoal and you put them in a container.  That was the selling point for me.  Easy cleanup and light weight, can use as a stove.  I am going to vacuum seal just enough charcoal for one cooking (up to 2 hrs) so damp charcoal won't be a problem.  Then I can put it back in the same bag to discard.   Good to see you getting prepared.  Hope we don't have a bad season.

Isn't cruising that A river a great trip!  Got everything!

Respected Contributor

@Zhills You may want to stock up on charcoal when Lowe's has it in the 20lb bags for sale at 2 for $20. You could cook a long time on four bags. The Gourmia reminds me of an electric one my mother had that we loved to use. The size is similar, but it was electric. I do see more models like this one for table top Asian grilling. One of the reviews had them using it at the dining table with the door and window open. I suppose you could do that if it was still raining providing you could keep the water out of the windows and doors.

The reviews on the solar products say they charge on cloudy days too. You don't need full sunlight to do the work. I want to have several methods of light. I used candles and hurricane lamps this time, but I would prefer no fire. Batteries are just so expensive and do expire/corrode. I have several battery power lights now, so the solar would supplement my options. I'm also working on stocking rechargeable batteries, which could also be charged from the solar panel, just a small one to keep the electronics and batteries charged.