Trusted Contributor

Okay, just watched new commercial. Now Ben's Rice without Uncle Ben's image on the box. Wording in commercial--to be more inclusive.

If we can discuss this, I know we must be careful. I am disheartened.

Respected Contributor

Re: Used to be Uncle Ben's Rice

This thread will likely be poofed unfortunely. (From the "inclusive" company who's site we're on.)  But all of it is disheartening to me too. And solves and serves absolutely nothing, imho. Please everyone, just respect all views given here; I'm assuming we will have all diverse ones. I have strong opinions on it all, but that's all I'll say here.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener     Sometimes I think the advertising industry has gone a little overboard.     Why would a man of color NOT be a great chef????    Same goes for my favorite "Aunt" and her pancakes.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had read months ago that many brands were going to re name their products---and just saw that  rice commercial the other day too. I think it is fine---am all for doing away with stereotyping ----it's not necessary. I buy a brand for the quality and not the pictures on the box----don't be disheartened--be happy that this is done with good reasons. Most times I wonder why a certain picture was put on a certain product anyway-----

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The images used were based on real people so they will be lost in the change. While I think you mean well your thread will be misunderstood & the posts will be brutal, best edit the text yourself or ask the Mods to remove it. Be well, @FLgardener.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand what people are ashamed of. I thought we didn't want exclusivity. Makes no sense to me. 

Trusted Contributor

I prefer Rice-A-Roni.  Tastes better. 

Honored Contributor

This whole thing has completely jumped the shark. Sorry but it has. You want to expend energy changing the world, save it for things that really matter.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

The life story of the pancake lady was very uplifting. . they should have used her story in a postive way to share good news . . .we have become way to sensitive and fearfull.  but that is the game and the plan.  Sad

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi: The real life model for Aunt Jemima was a woman named Nancy Green. She was born a slave and died a multi-millionairess thanks to her being the face of the pancake mix. Read her story. Her  life was and is and should be an inspiration to everyone. Ahe was a true American success story. Quaker Oats should have done their research before rebranding their pancake mix.