Honored Contributor

Update on Chili Dogs

[ Edited ]

I tried a can of Wolf Brand turkey chili to make a chili dog yesterday and I will have to say it was fine.  I used a footlong all beef dog, and the "chili" had a little spice but was not hot.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but there was very little turkey involved!  So, since I did like the sauce, I said I would absolutely use it again when I knew I'd have some ground beef left over to add.  It would get pretty high marks then.

Bring on summer! 

Edited cause I can't type.

Frequent Contributor

Check online for recipes for Coney Sauce for hot dogs.  You'll never use canned chili again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner - Was the choice of turkey chili to go with beef hot dogs intentional or accidental? Just curious...

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Sooner - Was the choice of turkey chili to go with beef hot dogs intentional or accidental? Just curious...

@loriqvc I always beef hotdogs, and the turkey chili was just something I tried.  No, it was not for any particular reason.  Other than I love to try things.

Honored Contributor

@JDW174 wrote:

Check online for recipes for Coney Sauce for hot dogs.  You'll never use canned chili again.

@JDW174 

You got that right!  My husband will not allow canned chili in this house.  Even a throw together, quick chili recipe is far better than canned chili.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@JDW174 wrote:

@JDW174 

You got that right!  My husband will not allow canned chili in this house.  Even a throw together, quick chili recipe is far better than canned chili.

@SurferWife @JDW174 Wait until you are old and tired and spent 45 years working AND cooking every day.  I hardly ever used canned in those days but I'll do it now because I don't want to spend all my golden years cooking.

My favorite chili is my own version of 2 Alarm Wick Fowler chili loaded with hamburger and pretty spicy.  It's too good to waste on any hot dog on earth.  It overpowers the hot dog!  Woman Very Happy  Chili is serious business around here.  Not something you'd put with a hot dog!

Frequent Contributor

Being as how I'm 74, I reckon I've also cooked my share of years.  Coney sauce may resemble chili, but made properly it has it's own taste.  I lived a large portion of my life in Erie, Pa, where  several places each had their own recipe for Coney sauce.  The best was at the Coney Island Lunch.  Dogs grilled on a flattop and served with the sauce, fresh chopped onion and mustard.  Outstanding!!