Super Contributor

UK Friends--Ever watch Ready, Steady, Cook?

Back in the early 90s we lived in Germany and one of the channels we were able to watch was Sky 1, a British channel. There was a show on called Ready, Steady, Cook with host Fern Briton. My husband and I got hooked on this show. It would come on when he was home for lunch and we watched it everyday. The premise of the show was, two contestants pre chosen, would bring a bag of food with a certain amount allowed for them to spend. It wasn't too much except for their holiday shows. They could bring anything as long as they didn't go over the budget. Two celebrity chefs would be on and each one would work with one of the contestants. They had about 25 minutes to cook dishes from the foods in the bag, along with the pantry items that were always on the show such as flour, eggs, butter, milk, oil, vinegar and assorted spices. It was always so amazing how many different dishes they could come up with. At the end of the show the audience would vote on a winner.

I always thought this would make a great show here in the US. I have tried to google the show but only come up with some of the newer versions that didn't have Fern Briton on and she really was funny.

All