Honored Contributor

I appreciate the info that IG posted.  I didn't know this but I did know that Starkist used to be a good brand and at some point it became much less.

The only brand that I have avoided like the plague, over the decades, has been Bumble Bee.  It was always the worst national brand out there but, sadly, Starkist has become almost as bad.

The day I discovered Kirkland brand I never looked back.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@sunshine45  Never seen or heard of this brand in any of the stores around me. I'll make it a point to see if I can find it anywhere.

@Kachina624  I beg to differ about tuna in oil. I have never found this to be true and I eat tons of tuna, always have. I prefer it in oil, again it's better for you.

@PINKdogWOOD.  I can usually find the Italian tuna in any Italian deli if you have any near you.

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

YUCK!!  Had canned tuna we just bought, opened a can and it is full of dark stuff. Kinda gross. I threw it out.

Had a box of the packages so opened one of those. The  very strong smell of tuna was horrible I noticed after making tuna salad. I just could not eat it!

What a waste throwing all this away!!

It is Starkist and it is usally fine. Not sure what is going on!

It's funny that you posted this. I purchased a package of tuna salad from Whole Foods on Sunday. Opened it up and thought the same as you that it smelled strong and the tuna did not look like it was white tuna. I forced myself to eat a little and then I threw the rest out. 

Super Contributor

I buy Starkist Albacore and haven't had a problem...so far.  A friend recommended that I try the Kirkland brand at Costco but I haven't been to Costco since then.  I will be going to Costco sometime in the next couple weeks and will try their tuna.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt   Do you know that I so love tuna that it is the main reason I got a COSTCO membership?  hahahaha

There are one or two name brands that I'm ok with, but was always looking for a better tuna.  I've heard that Kirkland's was really good and wanted to try it, so I got the membership a few months ago and now that's the only tuna I eat.  It is my new favorite.  

I have a SAM's club around the corner and shop there often.  COSTCO is about 40 minutes away, so you can see why I was hesitant.  But I'll tell you what, it's worth it just for the tuna alone.  I LOVE the stuff.  Could eat it every day.  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@chickenbutt   Do you know that I so love tuna that it is the main reason I got a COSTCO membership?  hahahaha

There are one or two name brands that I'm ok with, but was always looking for a better tuna.  I've heard that Kirkland's was really good and wanted to try it, so I got the membership a few months ago and now that's the only tuna I eat.  It is my new favorite.  

I have a SAM's club around the corner and shop there often.  COSTCO is about 40 minutes away, so you can see why I was hesitant.  But I'll tell you what, it's worth it just for the tuna alone.  I LOVE the stuff.  Could eat it every day.  

Love it!  Smiley Happy

Another thing I really love from Costco is the salmon burgers.  They are like a burger-shaped salmon pattie made of good quality Alaskan salmon and they come frozen, in a bag.   They are flavorful so I've never added a grain of salt to them.  I just cook one, from frozen, in my contact grill and either just eat that or that with a bit of veg, and that's a meal for me.  

When I get them home, I vac-seal them in onesies so they stay pristine for, well, as long as I've ever had them and I usually  make them last quite a while.  

Honored Contributor

according to a news article, the costco brand of albacore tuna is supplied by bumble bee.

https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2014/09/02/costco-win-for-tri-marine-as-retail-giant-puts-canned-sk...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

Yes, Italian tuna is the best!

Contributor

Yes, Italian tuna is the best!

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom, I appreciate the info. Will not buy starkist anymore. I read about how the food is treated there and have knocked anything from several there and several other places off my list.

I usually buy the Member's Mark albacore tuna from Sam's and we have been very happy with it. My hubby doesn't like fish but he likes this tuna, it's so mild.