Regular Contributor

One thing always on my list. Frozen Blueberry scones.Tastes like you baked them from scratch.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/13/2014 clangle said:

TJ's recently opened their first store in my area (Buffalo NY). It is two blocks from my house. After hearing all these wonderful stories, I couldn't wait to shop there! After having been a few times, I guess it's okay. However, I also have a huge Wegman's within walking distance, and they kick TJ's bu*tt for price, quality and variety all day long.

Isn't Wegman's headquartered near Buffalo? That's why it's better than TJs there. If you came to the Wegman's here, you wouldn't be very impressed.

That's why after shopping at the TJs in Los Angeles, I'm disappointed in the ones that I go to here. That doesn't make them a bad store, but I know how much better they can be.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine driving 100 miles to a Trader Joe's. They just aren't that special to me. Well, we have good supermarkets - and a good variety of them - around here, maybe that's why.

Honored Contributor

TJ's recently opened their first store in my area (Buffalo NY). It is two blocks from my house. After hearing all these wonderful stories, I couldn't wait to shop there! After having been a few times, I guess it's okay. However, I also have a huge Wegman's within walking distance, and they kick TJ's bu*tt for price, quality and variety all day long.

I agree with you. Wegmans over TJ's any time, any where.

Honored Contributor
On 7/13/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Isn't Wegman's headquartered near Buffalo? That's why it's better than TJs there. If you came to the Wegman's here, you wouldn't be very impressed.

That's why after shopping at the TJs in Los Angeles, I'm disappointed in the ones that I go to here. That doesn't make them a bad store, but I know how much better they can be.

I do most of my shopping at the Amherst Street Wegmans - but I still like TJs for certain things. I go to TJs probably twice a month (and stop at Paula's Donuts on my way home!).

TJs has a lot of unusual products here - I really don't think it's the kind of store where you can do all your grocery shopping though.

Respected Contributor

HonnyBrown, No, the crust contained the cheese very well. It does have a little bit of sauce in it, but I could tell from the picture on the box that it wouldn't be enough for me, so I heated some pizza sauce to dip it in.

Moonchilde, I was looking at the scones...wish I had gotten them instead of the lousy muffins. I did have a cinnamon bun for breakfast, but this time I heated it - it wasn't at all bad that way.

We have Publix, EarthFare, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Aldi....but I'd still make a trip to TJ once a month, because they not only have things you won't find at any of the others, but the prices are fantastic...and of course the fact that everything they sell is non-GMO is a big draw for me. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

terrier, the LA Trader Joes are very well stocked. They were our corner stores. Even there I would still shop at Ralph's and Vons (Kroger and Safeway chains).

FHG, I saw the frozen scones also. I'm going to try those and the frusta next time.

The next time you go, two words: Pork Belly! It's with the sandwiches and salads.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

HonnyBrown, I saw that, but I'm not much of a pork eater. Maybe I'll get my friend to try it and report back to me. Wink

I'm planning my next trip already - I'm definitely getting more of the Frusta and the mini chicken pot pies. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

I guess it depends on where you live. Our Trader Joe's has better produce at better prices than any of our other grocery stores and we have a lot to choose from in Southern California. Packaged lettuces and herbs, celery, green beans both fresh and the frozen French green beans are not to be excelled. In my case there is no hype, only facts. The daily baked Artisan breads are excellent as are so many things. They have a variety of fresh salads that are amazing with amazing dressings. They have some excellent bottled dressings (normally I make my own but they have a cilantro dressing that is out of this world and non fat to boot). I'm selective about what I buy there, but I buy quite a bit. Their Mediterranean Hummus is superior to any others I've found; regular is, too. But, imo, it's the fresh foods that are where they shine the most. When it come to processed things, I think they are probably competitive price wise.