Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I love their vanilla, so much like Häagen-Dazs.   I do NOT like much of anything else from OJ.

Honored Contributor

Don't forget the salted caramel gelato...

Super Contributor

@LAla Mommy wrote:

Sure have! Mint & Chip is one of the BEST at Trader Joe's. Huge amount of chocolate nestled in just the right amount of YUMMY mint ice cream. 

We are Ice Cream fanatics, and other than Haagen Dazs, the only other store bought ice cream worth it's weight in gold are ALL of Trader Joe's ice creams.

Thanks LaLa Mommy!  I'll have to get it the next time I go.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Frequent Contributor

Oh, I should also mention the TJ Mint & Chip doesn't have the fake green coloring added to the mint ice cream!  And yes, their Coffee ice cream is one of the best!

Super Contributor

I second the Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream being delicious! Aside of Peppermint ice cream, Mint's probably my favorite.  I have my "minty" side and my chocolate caramel-side so I usually get two types of ice cream (not at TJ's as I don't go often and tend to overload my cart, so I usually stick with mint).  I'll have to try the others.  I love coffee but rarely get ice cream or candy that's coffee-flavored.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've been ice cream free ever since Blue Bell quit production.  Sure wish they would ramp it up and get back to making product.

You can keep the Blue Bell. 

"In May, the Houston Chronicle reported that Blue Bell found 'strong evidence' of listeria in one of its Oklahoma factories in 2013, but failed to correct the issue. The Houston Press detailed the company’s 'plant environmental testing plan' through a private lab. Although factory swabs were routinely tested for pathogens, Blue Bell only looked at areas that didn’t have contact with ice cream. "

http://www.texasmonthly.com/daily-post/blue-bell-backish-maybe-we-should-remember-why-it-went-away-f...

I'll stick with Ben and Jerry, who have yet to kill anyone.

Do you live in the Houston area Chynna?  I was wondering where The Houston Press came from? It was the predecessor of The Houston Post, which went out of business some time ago.  I worked there once.

@Kachina624, I am in Austin and don't know the details. I clicked on the Houston Press link in the article and then hunted down the About Us link they've made kinda difficult to find on bottom of the left menu. It didn't mentioned how long they've been around, just that it's a weekly paper with 600,000 readers and some awards. 

Wikipedia says they've been around since 1989 and that The Houston Post was founded in 1880, so I think this must be no relation to the Houston Press that preceeded the Post. Smiley Happy

Sources: 

http://www.houstonpress.com/about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Press

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Post

Honored Contributor

@Katmary wrote:

I second the Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream being delicious! Aside of Peppermint ice cream, Mint's probably my favorite.  I have my "minty" side and my chocolate caramel-side so I usually get two types of ice cream (not at TJ's as I don't go often and tend to overload my cart, so I usually stick with mint).  I'll have to try the others.  I love coffee but rarely get ice cream or candy that's coffee-flavored.

Does TJ's have a Peppermint ice cream? It's my favorite type of ice cream and it's impossible to find locally. The New England area seems to be the best place to find it. 

Also, does anyone know of any national brands that sell peppermint ice cream? Friendly's carries it but unfortunately they changed their recipe a while back and I don't like the new version. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's Ice Cream

[ Edited ]

You're right Chynna, it's probably a whole different operation using the old name.  Thanks for chasing it down.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment