Trusted Contributor

Anyone who uses can tomatoes,sauce,paste,pizza sauce,ketchup etc. it would be wise to stock up on tomato products. 
because of the heat and drought in California tomatoes are already short going to the canners. It will probably get worse.

just thought you might want to know.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the heads up.

Honored Contributor

You can't keep tomato products for an extended period.  The acid in the tomatoes eats the can and they explode.  You haven't seen a mess until a can of tomato paste explodes in your cupboard. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My favorite canned tomato brand is Furmano. Grown in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Honored Contributor

@Epicurean wrote:

Anyone who uses can tomatoes,sauce,paste,pizza sauce,ketchup etc. it would be wise to stock up on tomato products. 
because of the heat and drought in California tomatoes are already short going to the canners. It will probably get worse.

just thought you might want to know.

@Epicurean 

???   Can you please name your source for this information?   

Not to put too fine a point on it, but California has been having an ongoing drought since around 2001.   This isn't new information.

Tomatoes are grown all over the country, so even if no freshly-grown tomatoes left the state this season, there are plenty of other sources all over the country.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can't keep tomato products for an extended period.  The acid in the tomatoes eats the can and they explode.  You haven't seen a mess until a can of tomato paste explodes in your cupboard. 

@Kachina624 

This happened to a friend of mine ....   not pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

In addition to tomatoes grown in PA and NJ, they are also imported from Italy.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Tomato products are inexpensive anyways.  It's not going to break my budget if the price goes up.   

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut  We should be so lucky that only one kind of food is going to increase in price!

Honored Contributor

I've already started my fall/winter stocking, and ordered 2 cases of tomato sauce, and 2 cases of diced tomatoes in July.