Esteemed Contributor

This is my first Thanksgiving Dinner that I am cooking while working. It will be DH and my two stepsons, and whoever stops by. I want to make the kids' favorites.

How do I juggle all of this with one day off?

My menu is small:

Salt Roasted Turkey with Lemon and Oregano

Maple Brined Butternut Squash

Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Vegetables

Dressing and Pie (?)

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

roasted veg make the day before and reheat day of

mac and cheese same

by dressing do you mean stuffing? if so prepare night before and cook day of

the squash not sure how you are cooking that

I cooked just about everything but the Turkey before and reheat works perfectly

mashed potatoes get peeled wed night

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, jack.

We usually get off early the day before a holiday. That will help a lot, time wise.

Esteemed Contributor
Try your dressing in a slow cooker. Prepare it the night before and put it in the fridge. Then all you have to do is plug it in to cook the next day.
Esteemed Contributor

ccassaday, I don't have a slow cooker, crock pot or pressure cooker.

Honored Contributor

You are already half way there. You have limited and decided on your menu. That is great!

For me, I have to have the house ready as well as the meal. I need to feel I have cleaned and decorated etc. to my standards, so I start early.

Clean regions of the house that no one will really see up to a week before. I have a guest bath that I clean, arrange and stock for company then close the door and no one is allowed in, use the other one only.

Deep Clean the main rooms a couple of days before the event, and put up any decor you want to have up for that day. Every night or morning before work, make a quick sweep through the room to keep things in order and picked up.

Set the table and the buffet with all serving dishes, utensils, glasses etc. a day or two before the event.

Cook a day or two before any dessert, casserole etc. that can be done ahead, then reheated the day of.

Make lists, lists and more lists! And shop as early before the holiday as possible, the stores get nuts the last couple of days before.

Do what you can, don't try to be Martha Stewart, and when the guests come, enjoy and participate in the visiting, and let others help with the prep and clean up.

In the future, ask for people coming to bring a dish or assign them exactly what you need.

Have fun, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

mominohio, thank you!!!!!

I let everything get jumbled in my head and started to go nuts.

And you know what? I'm so jumbled, I thought Thanksgiving was a week and a half away{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

You can always do yourself a favor and pick up a carryout pie the day before. Same with breads or rolls. Also make sure your beverages are in the fridge to chill and you have ice on hand.

Ask DH to be your host by greeting guests, telling them where to park if necessary, taking coats, getting them a beverage and welcoming them while you're busy. He can keep them entertained and you can ask for assistance when needed. Wink

Honored Contributor

Salt Roasted Turkey with Lemon and Oregano

Maple Brined Butternut Squash

Macaroni and Cheese

Roasted Vegetables

Dressing and Pie (?)

You can make dressing a week or two ahead and freeze! Let thaw in the fridge overnight and pour over more broth and/or gravy. Buy some turkey parts (necks, wings whatever), roast them until brown or pan saute them and make gravy ahead also and freeze! Reheat on the day with more broth. If you only have one day, also ask grocery deli's and restaurants if you can BUY gravy on the day ahead.

Pies? Make pecan pies A(easiest thing on the planet) or buy pies! There are some very good bakery pies out there. Also pumpkin pie from the recipe on the can of pumpkin (not the canned pumpkin pie mix, the regular canned pumpkin) is good and easy to pour into a bought pie shell. The recipe uses evaporated milk I think and you just mix it up and bake. Make some home made whipped sweetened cream to plop on top! That's the best part anyway!

Esteemed Contributor

Sooner and Snowpuppy, thank you!

I love the freezing. I can do the things you mentioned, as well as my stock.

I will definitely buy a few pies! Especially since I am not a good baker.