Respected Contributor

Is what my husband said about 4 boxes of pasta $38.50.  He was being sarcastic.  Can you imagine paying that for 4 boxes of pasta.  I don't care that they were organic or the wheat was something special. Maybe It's just me, but  QVC's prices are getting a tad outrageous.   Who's doing the stealing?  I'll stick to Barilla that was 

5@$4 at my grocery store today.

Honored Contributor

Nobody is stealing if customers are voluntarily handing over their funds. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Well.....he might be 'right' IF - you're wheel chair bound - no car - nobody to do your shopping or no computer to order delivery.

IF free shipping and dropped at your front door - it could be a ....deal

I tend to try and see both sides of an issue............

Esteemed Contributor

My 99 year old mother is housebound and computerless. She would NEVER pay that much money for pasta. I live far away but she has a neighbor who can pick up a few things for her and I order food to be sent to her home from local supermarkets.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Well.....he might be 'right' IF - you're wheel chair bound - no car - nobody to do your shopping or no computer to order delivery.

IF free shipping and dropped at your front door - it could be a ....deal

I tend to try and see both sides of an issue............

@fthunt Taking monetary advantage of people that are in these situations is called price gouging.

Honored Contributor

People spend money in all sorts of ways someone else with the same income and same set of responsibilities would never do.    but it's not a contest in my mind and the person who spends $5 for their pasta instead of $38 may well spend equal amounts on something I find every bit as unnecessary.  

I am not buying the QVC pasta, but price is a minor consideration in my decision.  I use so little pasta that the amount would be likely to last for years.  Even if I knew why it could be different from the supermarket sale choices,  pasta gets old, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Consumerism is subjective. For a person with the financial resources and desire to purchase "expensive" pasta, it is not problematic. A person with limited resources will likely; and perhaps should, shop elsewhere for it. It essentially boils down to the amount a consumer is WILLING to pay for said item.😊

Thankfully, The Q has something for most budgets.👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I love pasta and I've purchased varieties at all price points.  You can spend more, but I've never found better than de Cecco or barilla.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

People should do what they want with their money.  I find it absurd that people buy all sorts of things.  If I had room, I'd buy a horse.  I don't need one and they are expensive, but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I think people around here especially who complain about what others buy at any price are confusing "need" with "want" and not being objective about what they themselves buy.

I think any of us, and I include me in this, could look back at a few months purchases (however I probably won't do that) and think about how much of it we REALLY "need."  Shocking?  

So how does that all add up to criticizing pasta purchases or what any of us buy?  Or being shocked at money "wasted" on a product, or what a company charges for something?  

I know some pinch ever penny--and many have to, I understand that very well.  But some do it because they feel superior doing it, and I know a couple of them personally but won't name names. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 It's not price gouging as they are not selling exclusively to those who are housebound or have no help. THAT would be gouging.

They are selling to the public in general and are not targeting any one group. See?