Esteemed Contributor

From a set of 8, we're down to 3 salad plates and 4 cereal bowls, and I cannot find my pattern any more. It is close to 50 years old!

Though I did get my everyday Mikasa in bowls & salad plates, nothing is going to match, which is okay, because sometimes I like that whimsy.

Does anyone else use mismatched kitchenware pieces?

Honored Contributor

Re: There Goes Another Plate!

[ Edited ]

About 10 years ago, maybe less, I got rid of the old, boring white, chipped stuff and replaced it with fiestaware in all colors. I had some Corelle--the navy border on white-- that I gave to my DD when she moved out---but now we are living together again and it's in the cabinets. Not a fan of it much---but will do in a pinch--- I think the glasses/mugs are the thing that is mismatched for me---I don't mind that, but I do love having the same dishes in the bright colors that I have now--just makes me happy.!!

Honored Contributor

I stopped using pattern dishes a long time ago for this reason.

For about 16 years, DH and I started collecting Fiesta dishes and have a wide array of pieces and colors.

Now they go with anything I may pick up for the kitchen.

If you want to add to your Mikasa, check eBay or Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I replaced all my heavy old dinnerware with lightweight Corelle in Winter Frost White. That's all I use now.

Respected Contributor

@Harpa  Did you try replacements.com?

Respected Contributor

Of course I have mismatched dishes.  Life is too short to worry about matching stuff.  Around 15 years ago I got Corelle in a retro pattern.  Filled in with extra luncheon plates. 

When I wanted more dishes a few years later, my pattern was gone so I got plain white and it all works together.  The  corelle is light, thin and rarely  breaks.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

@Harpa  Did you try replacements.com?

No, @Janey2 . It's too late now. But thank you for the suggestion!

Respected Contributor

Funny story about breaking plates. As a young girl we didn't have a dishwasher (other than me) so I had to wash the dishes after every meal. Admittedly I was not the most careful person and I broke a few China plates along the way. My mom had beautiful fine China and when I would shatter a plate she would say...that's one less you will inherit! When she passed there was only one plate left and it still sits in my kitchen cupboard. I think of her and smile when I see it!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa ... did you look on  replacements dot com for your set?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

From a set of 8, we're down to 3 salad plates and 4 cereal bowls, and I cannot find my pattern any more. It is close to 50 years old!

Though I did get my everyday Mikasa in bowls & salad plates, nothing is going to match, which is okay, because sometimes I like that whimsy.

Does anyone else use mismatched kitchenware pieces?

@Harpa    Not really understanding your post. Is it the Mikasa that you are trying to replace? A couple of posters recommended replacements.com. They have thousands of china patterns and lots were discontinued years ago. If you want to replace your plates try them. Also try ebay. I have found replacements for my mother's crystal that was purchased in the 1940's and has been discontinued for years.