Trusted Contributor

Re: The difference between farm raised salmon and Alaskan wild Salmon

[ Edited ]

@2blonde wrote:

I would never eat farm raised salmon because I've heard too many awful things about it that are gross and unhealthy.  The wild salmon is much healthier, and I do eat that.

Farm raised salmon eat their own poop.  They are fed hormones.  That's why the color of wild salmon is different from farm raised salmon.   Avoid farm raised fish of any kind.

Get your fresh fish from a local or reliable fishmonger.

Respected Contributor

You have to carefully read the labels.  Much to my surprise Atlantic Salmon, brand name is farmed raised.  Very misleading. We only get our salmon from a place called Wild for Salmon.  They are located in Pa and every year, they actually go to Alaska and catch their salmon.  It is absolutely delicious and there is a huge diffrence in taste.  Anything farmed raised just reminds me of a dirty fish tank and that settles that!!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@gloriajean wrote:

A lot!  I don't like Salmon.  But I've been eating the farm raised salmon.

Just yesterday while baby sitting at my daughter's, for the twins, I had some Alaskan salmon patties.  Wow! a world of difference and it tasted good!

Now I see why Dr. Weil says never to eat farm raised.

This Alaskan Salmon was bought at Sam's Club.

@gloriajean Yep. I don't eat farm raised fish anymore. And with salmon, it gets even trickier. Try to get fresh caught salmon in season. The seasons for different kinds of salmon don't last long, so you have to know your fish provider. Once you have in-season fresh salmon, you won't want anything else

@PA Mom-mom

Do you order your salmon online? 

If so, do you have a company you recommend?

Thank you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@gloriajean wrote:

A lot!  I don't like Salmon.  But I've been eating the farm raised salmon.

Just yesterday while baby sitting at my daughter's, for the twins, I had some Alaskan salmon patties.  Wow! a world of difference and it tasted good!

Now I see why Dr. Weil says never to eat farm raised.

This Alaskan Salmon was bought at Sam's Club.

@gloriajean Yep. I don't eat farm raised fish anymore. And with salmon, it gets even trickier. Try to get fresh caught salmon in season. The seasons for different kinds of salmon don't last long, so you have to know your fish provider. Once you have in-season fresh salmon, you won't want anything else

@PA Mom-mom

Do you order your salmon online? 

If so, do you have a company you recommend?

Thank you. 

No, our local grocery store has fresh flown in weekly and sometimes daily, so we get the salmon that is in season at any given time.

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

You have to carefully read the labels.  Much to my surprise Atlantic Salmon, brand name is farmed raised.  Very misleading. We only get our salmon from a place called Wild for Salmon.  They are located in Pa and every year, they actually go to Alaska and catch their salmon.  It is absolutely delicious and there is a huge diffrence in taste.  Anything farmed raised just reminds me of a dirty fish tank and that settles that!!

@meem120

I have seen these folks at our local farmer's market, and they look great! I have not tried them yet, but I think I will.