The Science Behind the Perfect Cookies

Respected Contributor

Re: The Science Behind the Perfect Cookies

What a handy and informative chart HOWEVER---the science behind MY 

perfect cookie is to be certain there is always a tin of YOKU MOKU cookies

in the pantry.....😛 😘

Honored Contributor

Yes, @lolakimono, that is handy, however, my science behind the perfect cookies here, is I easily got him hooked on the ones that are fresh out of the freezer that makes a dozen, and he even bakes them now. LOL, isn't science grand!!!  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks. I like that

Honored Contributor

So here's a question..I like soft, chewy cookies that do not spread.

According to the chart = Brown Sugar

Can I always sub brown for white in any recipe?  Equal amounts?

Anyone know or have any thoughts?

TIA !!!!!

Honored Contributor

Thx for the info. Now who is going to back me some cookies. LOL!!! I'll take some chocolate chip/butterscotch cookies. Let me know when they are hot out of the oven. Now you have me hungry for a homemade cookie. I'm just hungry since I have not ate yet.

Honored Contributor

Fling flour at me for I disagree with the chart. I've had the exact opposite happen when using specific flours, sugars, butter, etc according to the chart and I bake a LOT, lol. My MIL has written a few cookbooks and the woman KNOWS her baking and she'll tell you the same thing. 

What also matters is the temperature of your kitchen as well as the humidity, how fresh or old the ingredients are, the length of time you manipulate (and HOW you manipulate) the dough/batter as well as many other things. 

All that said, I WILL say it's a great guidelines for basic info on cookie making. : )

Esteemed Contributor

My perfect cookies are the ones I make with my Granddaughter...Heart

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Fling flour at me for I disagree with the chart. I've had the exact opposite happen when using specific flours, sugars, butter, etc according to the chart and I bake a LOT, lol. My MIL has written a few cookbooks and the woman KNOWS her baking and she'll tell you the same thing. 

What also matters is the temperature of your kitchen as well as the humidity, how fresh or old the ingredients are, the length of time you manipulate (and HOW you manipulate) the dough/batter as well as many other things. 

All that said, I WILL say it's a great guidelines for basic info on cookie making. : )

@SahmIam

"Fling flour at me..."

thanks funny!

Would you or your MIL have any suggestions for the best ingredients to get soft, chewy cookies that do not spread like a pancake?  LOL

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife  I will ask her as my kitchen is tiny so the heat from the oven makes the room hot and therefore, my cookies spread no matter what. Grrrr.....