Valued Contributor
On 3/7/2014 Scotnovel said:
On 3/6/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 3/6/2014 KnitNMemories said:

Yes reviews VERY bad...but how many pieces can you have, my gosh!! What size kitchen does it take??!! Just wish QVC would start having more variety in items instead of the same old thing. I bought my first item when it was CVN...long time ago!!

Please bring other brands...want more variety!!

I agree with having variety but disagree about the "VERY bad" reviews....on the Temp-tations first page, I see 96 items...87 of those have between a 4-star to 5-star rating...what part of that is very bad???? Most businesses would be VERY happy with those numbers!! And remember, the ones that are dissatisfied are the ones that usually post reviews. If you don't like TT, that's okay but why try to distort the real info?

It is true there are a lot of good reviews. However when you look at them a lot of the good reviews are made by people shortly after getting the item home and even some of them say things like it is pretty but is too small for the purpose but I'll keep it anyway. A lot of the negative reviews are by people who have had them a little longer and they say things like how easily they break and chip when hand washed - some even talk about how the color just flakes off etc. For me, I don't want a product that I HAVE to hand wash or else it will break and then it still might.

Personally on this, and other products, I put more stock into reviews from people who have actually used the product for a while than from those who recently got it and think it is beautiful. Another thing I look for in reviews is consistency. If there are a lot of good reviews saying how great a product is and how wonderful it works, but there are also a lot on that same product about how it was defective from the start, arrived broken, worked sporadically etc then I won't buy the item because clearly the quality control is lacking.

First, just letting you know that I was only commenting about the other post when it was stated that TT had so many "bad" reviews, this, IMO, is very misleading.

And I agree with you! that's why I stand by my post, the majority of the reviews on the Q are positive NOT negative, Just like anything else, I also put more stock into reviews of who have actually used the product but I weed out those bad reviews when the review has nothing to do with the product itself. As far as consistency, with millions of Temp-tations being sold and more selling everyday, I think TT has proven itself to be a great addition for the kitchen!

As far as bad reviews for an example as you stated above, about a TT dish being to small and posting a bad review, who's fault is that?? NOT TT! All sizes are stated, just saying everyone just needs to use common sense, it you like the product, buy it. If you don't for whatever reason, no one is twisting your arm to get it! here.

Honored Contributor
On 3/7/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 3/7/2014 Scotnovel said:
On 3/6/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 3/6/2014 KnitNMemories said:

Yes reviews VERY bad...but how many pieces can you have, my gosh!! What size kitchen does it take??!! Just wish QVC would start having more variety in items instead of the same old thing. I bought my first item when it was CVN...long time ago!!

Please bring other brands...want more variety!!

I agree with having variety but disagree about the "VERY bad" reviews....on the Temp-tations first page, I see 96 items...87 of those have between a 4-star to 5-star rating...what part of that is very bad???? Most businesses would be VERY happy with those numbers!! And remember, the ones that are dissatisfied are the ones that usually post reviews. If you don't like TT, that's okay but why try to distort the real info?

It is true there are a lot of good reviews. However when you look at them a lot of the good reviews are made by people shortly after getting the item home and even some of them say things like it is pretty but is too small for the purpose but I'll keep it anyway. A lot of the negative reviews are by people who have had them a little longer and they say things like how easily they break and chip when hand washed - some even talk about how the color just flakes off etc. For me, I don't want a product that I HAVE to hand wash or else it will break and then it still might.

Personally on this, and other products, I put more stock into reviews from people who have actually used the product for a while than from those who recently got it and think it is beautiful. Another thing I look for in reviews is consistency. If there are a lot of good reviews saying how great a product is and how wonderful it works, but there are also a lot on that same product about how it was defective from the start, arrived broken, worked sporadically etc then I won't buy the item because clearly the quality control is lacking.

First, just letting you know that I was only commenting about the other post when it was stated that TT had so many "bad" reviews, this, IMO, is very misleading.

And I agree with you! that's why I stand by my post, the majority of the reviews on the Q are positive NOT negative, Just like anything else, I also put more stock into reviews of who have actually used the product but I weed out those bad reviews when the review has nothing to do with the product itself. As far as consistency, with millions of Temp-tations being sold and more selling everyday, I think TT has proven itself to be a great addition for the kitchen!

As far as bad reviews for an example as you stated above, about a TT dish being to small and posting a bad review, who's fault is that?? NOT TT! All sizes are stated, just saying everyone just needs to use common sense, it you like the product, buy it. If you don't for whatever reason, no one is twisting your arm to get it! here.

Try reading what Scotnovel actually wrote regarding the comment about a dish being small:

"It is true there are a lot of good reviews. However when you look at them a lot of the good reviews are made by people shortly after getting the item home and even some of them say things like it is pretty but is too small for the purpose but I'll keep it anyway."

She or he wasn't referring to a "bad" review but to a good one that someone posted right after receiving the product. She was just saying that she thinks it's better to wait until you see how the product performs.

And the rest of her post about how to read reviews is spot-on about looking for those who have used the product for some time and also to look for consistency in the comments. She notes that if she sees many of the same complaints, she pays attention.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I have a lot of Temptations. I have had one crack. I bought the dish set and she says you can cut on them. I did and wished that I didn't. You can see every single knife cut you made. But, they are pretty and for the most part, I do like them.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 5 pieces of Temptations--ALL have cracked or crazed so that I don't dare use them in the oven - Two smaller ones I used ONCE in the oven with sweet potatoes in them, one of the larger ones I used a few times to make mac & cheese, that one is crazed all over as well. One large one crazed WHILE SITTING IN MY CABINET - NEVER BEEN USED. I have one piece that I have used a couple of times, and at least it has not cracked or crazed while sitting in the cabinet - I'm afraid to use it in the oven so I only use it for cold things. I like the green Old World, but would NEVER buy another piece of it.

Super Contributor

I have several pieces of Temptations, which I received as a gift. I also have a lot of Corningware, which I started buying soon after I was married, many moons ago. I am not one of those that "gave all my other bakeware away", as you hear some QVC customers say, because the pieces of Temptations that I own are either larger or smaller in capacity than my Corningware. If I was just starting out, and had the money, I would purchase the Polish stoneware that QVC used to sell over the Temptations line, because it is of much higher quality. I do own some pieces of that too. Of course you may only get one piece of Polish stoneware for what QVC sells a set of Temptations for....but you only get what you pay for.

Honored Contributor
On 3/8/2014 WSfan said:

I have several pieces of Temptations, which I received as a gift. I also have a lot of Corningware, which I started buying soon after I was married, many moons ago. I am not one of those that "gave all my other bakeware away", as you hear some QVC customers say, because the pieces of Temptations that I own are either larger or smaller in capacity than my Corningware. If I was just starting out, and had the money, I would purchase the Polish stoneware that QVC used to sell over the Temptations line, because it is of much higher quality. I do own some pieces of that too. Of course you may only get one piece of Polish stoneware for what QVC sells a set of Temptations for....but you only get what you pay for.

I agree with all of your post. I have some pieces of Polish stoneware, as I got into buying it just as Q was ending their relationship with the Zanger company. I even had a piece of it crack in the oven. That was terrifying, as the one piece was close to $100. I called the company, and they did replace the piece, but were a little reluctant to do so. While I love the look and feel of the Polish stoneware much more than most TT, and I can feel the quality difference, I'm not buying anymore because of the cost. All ceramic has the possibility of cracking, so if it is going to happen, I'd rather loose a piece that is less expensive.

I have an extensive collection of Corning Ware and Pyrex, most dating back to the 1970's and before, and while I put mine in the basement for awhile, I never got rid of mine either. There is nothing out there that is made to last they way those products were. They aren't as pretty, in my opinion, but I'll never part with them. I've often pondered about the time when I may have to scale back on all the kitchen wares if we downsize to a smaller place, and I lean towards probably keeping the older more lasting brands.

For now, I use and enjoy my TT, but I'm sure most won't last or be in as good shape as the Corning and Pyrex 40 years from now.

Super Contributor
On 3/9/2014 mominohio said:
On 3/8/2014 WSfan said:

I agree with all of your post. I have some pieces of Polish stoneware, as I got into buying it just as Q was ending their relationship with the Zanger company. I even had a piece of it crack in the oven. That was terrifying, as the one piece was close to $100. I called the company, and they did replace the piece, but were a little reluctant to do so. While I love the look and feel of the Polish stoneware much more than most TT, and I can feel the quality difference, I'm not buying anymore because of the cost. All ceramic has the possibility of cracking, so if it is going to happen, I'd rather loose a piece that is less expensive.

I have an extensive collection of Corning Ware and Pyrex, most dating back to the 1970's and before, and while I put mine in the basement for awhile, I never got rid of mine either. There is nothing out there that is made to last they way those products were. They aren't as pretty, in my opinion, but I'll never part with them. I've often pondered about the time when I may have to scale back on all the kitchen wares if we downsize to a smaller place, and I lean towards probably keeping the older more lasting brands.

For now, I use and enjoy my TT, but I'm sure most won't last or be in as good shape as the Corning and Pyrex 40 years from now.

Exactly. I haven't heard of Polish Stoneware cracking in the oven, but you are proof that it can happen. I agree that Corning Ware/Pyrex are work horses, and my pieces of both look as good today as they did when they were brand new. The only time I've heard of Corning Ware/Pyrex cracking is when they are dropped; I have not experienced either cracking while in the oven. I wonder if customers are taking the TT directly out of the refrigerator, then into a hot oven. The temperature difference would make it crack.

Respected Contributor

I do have some pieces of Temptations that I bought at Christmas a few years sago - Hometown Holiday I think it's called. I like the pattern very much - have even picked up a few extra pieces off eBay. But I don't cook in it. I use it for serving during the late fall and winter - it's a winter pattern, not Christmas. I also have a few pieces of red polka dot which was a gift. Again, I haven't used it for cooking. It's bright and cheerful and I enjoy having it - just don't risk food in it as I've seen too many complaints about cracking.

Like others, I've been with QVC since they were CVN, and admittedly I was happier with them then. Better hosts for the most part and a wonderful absence of silliness on the channel. I can stand a little humor in the sales pitches, but don't assume I'm stupid.

I honestly prefer my Pyrex and white Corning Ware to Temptations any day. Some of the TT patterns are just too busy to show off food, and I don't care for the Old World pattern at all. Also not into the Floral Lace. For serving, I like the look of the pure white Corning Ware. I'd love to see more pastel colors in TT, and more muted patterns.

Super Contributor
On 3/9/2014 Perkup said:

I do have some pieces of Temptations that I bought at Christmas a few years sago - Hometown Holiday I think it's called. I like the pattern very much - have even picked up a few extra pieces off eBay. But I don't cook in it. I use it for serving during the late fall and winter - it's a winter pattern, not Christmas. I also have a few pieces of red polka dot which was a gift. Again, I haven't used it for cooking. It's bright and cheerful and I enjoy having it - just don't risk food in it as I've seen too many complaints about cracking.

Like others, I've been with QVC since they were CVN, and admittedly I was happier with them then. Better hosts for the most part and a wonderful absence of silliness on the channel. I can stand a little humor in the sales pitches, but don't assume I'm stupid.

I honestly prefer my Pyrex and white Corning Ware to Temptations any day. Some of the TT patterns are just too busy to show off food, and I don't care for the Old World pattern at all. Also not into the Floral Lace. For serving, I like the look of the pure white Corning Ware. I'd love to see more pastel colors in TT, and more muted patterns.

So glad to know I'm not alone out there...! I had thousands of dollars of TT and gave them to my stepdaughters and grand daughters. My husband and I don't entertain, typically fix out plates out of the dish, etc. AND I always had trouble with TT not cooking items property, either not done enough or impossible to get out of the muffin pans, etc. And yes I always used either PAM or Baker's Secret.

I resorted to Pyrex. Found some good deals online and replaced my TT. I'm very happy with the simple baking dishes I have now.

I do have one set of dinnerware. But I prefer a vintage set I purchased from the local Goodwill. The TT dishes tend to make microwaving a plate of food take forever. I have some teapots I keep artificial ivy in and they are very cute.

They are cute, but I'm so over TempTations.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/6/2014 fthunt said:

YUP - "can go under the broiler" UGH? From complaints I read here - you couldn't pay me to try that. I continue to be puzzled - how did this young single woman with a mama start and build this dish empire? (always suspected Mr. David V was the $$ behind it)

I don't believe it was David as the money behind it, I think he took his neighbor and her idea to QVC they were planning to dump the polish ware and got her to continue to work for them, but as a spokesperson and part time designer. I believe Temptations is a QVC brand like Cooks Essentials, I don't believe she has a factory in China ,but I think QVC has the money and knowledge to do so, and that's why is on all the time and even has shows just for Temptations ware.