Honored Contributor

The dishwasher I have now you had to use Jet Dry to get all the spots etc off the glasses & different dishes & the Jet Dry has stopped doing it's job. I bought Oxy Boost & squirted some of that in the dishwasher & it helped a little. Finally bought some Lemi-Shine & after a couple of runs through the dishwasher my dishes look so much better. I'm going to keep using it. Wish they also made dishwasher detergent. The dishwasher I used to have I did not have to use anything other then detergent. Don't know if they changed Jet Dry or what but it no longer does the job. Try Lemi-Shine if you are having the same problems.

Smile

Super Contributor

Re: Dishwasher & Cloudy Dishes

I had that same problem.

I just started splashing in a glug of vinegar before starting the machine and they are sparkly now.

Contributor

I had the same problem, now, where do you put the vinegar, in the dishwasher or in the same place as the Jet Dry?
Valued Contributor

My appliance repair man told me to use half Jet Dry liquid and half white vinegar in the rinse dispenser with every wash. After that, I never had an issue again. I am glad he let me know this because our water here is super prone to spotting and mineral deposits.

Honored Contributor

OP, I've been recommending Lemi-Shine around here for years. SmileWe first used it because our dishwasher at the time was all spotted on its SS interior. So we followed the instructions for using Lemi-Shine the first time to take care of that. We had originally tired vinegar but weren't that impressed.

Since then we always use it along with our dishwasher detergent when we run the dishwasher. Our SS interior on subsequent dishwashers always looks brand new, and our glasses don't get cloudy.

Also, if we don't use it, even one time, any plastic items come out weirdly marked -- I guess cloudy. But another wash with LS takes care of that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

If your dishes are now cloudy, it probably is the filter that needs to be cleaned. Most all dishwashers have a filter that traps food particles and when that gets dirty you get film.

Once in a while I pour some Clorox in the bottom of the dishwasher, let it set for a few minutes, then run a hot wash. Helps to clean the inside. But I'm not sure about the effect of Clorox on stainless.

Honored Contributor

I lived in an area in West Texas where the water was so thick with minerals that it was undrinkable. It etched glasses so badly that when I moved, I threw all of mine in the dumpster. What everyone did to somewhat alleviate the hard water effect was to use crystalline citric acid in one of the DW dispenser cups. In that area, they sold it at all the hardware stores and Walmart. I filled a plastic catsup dispenser with it squirted it into the dishwasher cup. It has a texture like sugar. I see Amazon (Prime) has a 5lb bag for about $20. It's absolutely the best solution for cloudy glassware and dishes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have never seen Lemi Shine on the shelves where I shop so I googled it and saw that there are different kinds. One is a detergent, another a finish and there is also an original....whatever that means. Which one do I buy for cloudy glasses and SS interior dishwasher. Also do I use a little with my regular detergent or just that? TIA

Trusted Contributor

There are some products you can buy that are supposed to clean the dishwasher. When I have this problem I use one of those products - sorry I can't think of the brand. It is a square plastic bottle that fits upside down in the silverware rack and you run the dishwasher with just this cleaner nothing else.

I also use the half vinegar half jet dry if spotting persists and find that works most of the time. Some of those newer cleaning pods are also supposed to stop spotting but I haven't used any of the ones advertised that way yet.

Valued Contributor

I had to replace my GE dishwasher last year - it died. Bought a Kitchen Aid (big mistake!)

I never had to use anything but dishwasher detergent in the old machine but had big issues with the new one not cleaning adequately and leaving spots and film on the dishes. Talked with an appliance repair guy and he told me 2 things. Make sure you run the hot water before you start the dishwasher. New dishwashers don't heat the water first. And most important - only fill the tub 3/4s full. He said if its too full, the water doesn't adequately move through the tub. Since he gave me that advice I've not had an issue. But my tub doesn't look clean after the wash so I may try that Lemi Shine for that. Thanks for the tips ladies.