Honored Contributor

magazine had a recipe that I just now made . Pecan pie , but, seemed little different because I'm a nice gal will share and save you buying the magazine.   LOL  Your Welcome !

Texas Pecan Pie

1/2 cup sugar

3 Tbsp. all purpose flour

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup dark corn syrup

3 large eggs

1 tsp vinegar ( I skipped, LOL)

1 cup pecans  (I put mine in chopper and just coarse chop like bigger pecans not tiny pieces) LOL

My secret, that I read a long time ago and put to memory is to add 1 tablespoon of corn meal and that keeps it from being runny, makes it more solid when you cut into cooled pie.

Mix together I used hand mixer.

Pour all into pie crust and put foil around the edges of crust to keep from

burning the crust. Bake 350 for 35 minutes.  Remove foil, center will be wobbly, bake another 35 minutes.   I'm gonna bake the first 35, then, use my own judgement for the last baking time.  Don't want it burned.

Page 36 of Taste of Home/Oct./Nov issue 2019   The picture will make you want it ! I did and mine is in oven. Easy recipe !

Honored Contributor

Looks good.

You are right about watching that bake time, good advice.

This syrup is made here in Alabama.

The recipe on the label is the best recipe for a pecan pie.

I love finding great recipes, anywhere!

golden eagle.jpg

Honored Contributor

@software : Looked for syrup and it can be purchased near me. Will give this a try. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

mine bubbled over in oven never had one to do that before !

next time putting deep dish pan this one was shallow , but, because of

the syrups I guess you need a deep dish pie pan

now, I got a mess to clean up after oven is cold ! they didn't say to put in deep dish, but , they should have.

next time put in a large cookie sheet to catch the drip over

Honored Contributor

probably make a lighter golden pie

Honored Contributor

@SharkE : I have my cousin and Bigmama recipes  for pecan pie and no issues until the last few years- center does not set or the bottom of the pie crust doesn’t cook. I purchased the round pie crust shields that keep the crust edge from over cooking. Found a quick and easy recipe last weekend for pecan pie muffins. The recipe only makes 9 muffins but they were delicious. Southern Bee 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

magazine had a recipe that I just now made . Pecan pie , but, seemed little different because I'm a nice gal will share and save you buying the magazine.   LOL  Your Welcome !

Texas Pecan Pie

1/2 cup sugar

3 Tbsp. all purpose flour

1 cup light corn syrup

1 cup dark corn syrup

3 large eggs

1 tsp vinegar ( I skipped, LOL)

1 cup pecans  (I put mine in chopper and just coarse chop like bigger pecans not tiny pieces) LOL

My secret, that I read a long time ago and put to memory is to add 1 tablespoon of corn meal and that keeps it from being runny, makes it more solid when you cut into cooled pie.

Mix together I used hand mixer.

Pour all into pie crust and put foil around the edges of crust to keep from

burning the crust. Bake 350 for 35 minutes.  Remove foil, center will be wobbly, bake another 35 minutes.   I'm gonna bake the first 35, then, use my own judgement for the last baking time.  Don't want it burned.

Page 36 of Taste of Home/Oct./Nov issue 2019   The picture will make you want it ! I did and mine is in oven. Easy recipe !

Thanks. I have never put corn meal nor flour in my pecan pie . I guess the vinegar was to cut some of the sweetness . I use the receipe on the Karo syrup bottle and I add 1/4 coup bourbon whiskey to keep it from being sickening sweet . I bake it till a toothpick  tells me the center is not runny. I've never had my center runny .

Honored Contributor

@SharkE : I can no longer just put a pie in the oven without making a mess. I always use a cookie sheet with foil and use a deep dish pan. I received this magazine yesterday and was looking at the recipe and wondering what the purpose of including vinegar in the ingredients. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

The tradition is white sugar/dark Karo; brown sugar/white Karo. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don't ever remember putting that much (2 cups) corn syrup in a pecan pie...