Honored Contributor

How to organize spices in a small cabinet?

No extra drawer space and do not want to use countertop.

Tried a small step type thing and still have to move spices or they tip over. Arrangement of shelf not able to put rack on door. Currently using small square and rectangle containers but still necessary to pull everything out. Cabinet is 13 1/2 inch wide, 10 1/2 in long and space between shelves is 9 inches. I have about 15 spices. I have found small glass jars for storage to prevent spices from getting hard. Plus I am short. The small cabinet is near the cook top. Any suggestions appreciated. Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

Re: How to organize spices in a small cabinet?

Like culinary expert Alton Brown Add a magnet mat or a sheet of metal to the back of the cabinet door. Buy magnetic round magnetic containers  and transfer your herbs and spices to them and stick them up.  Label if necessary. 

Respected Contributor

Like culinary expert Alton Brown Add a magnet mat or a sheet of metal to the back of the cabinet door. Buy magnetic round magnetic containers  and transfer your herbs and spices to them and stick them up.  Label if necessary. 

You could attach or lean  metal sheet to backsplash and do the same. 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

how about a 2 tier lazy susan -my stuff is currently in a 2 tier container box which I have to pull out - don't have space for a lazy susan

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 6.32.44 AM.png

Super Contributor

I was also going to say that a 2 tier lazy susan would be great.

Valued Contributor

I have a lot of spices, most of which are from Penzey's.  So much better than what you buy at the grocery store!  I have two of the two tier old Rubbermaid lazy susan's and they have been a life saver.  They are full to the brim so I do have to move some of them around to find a certain spice but one is for small containers, the the other is for larger.  I put them in alphabetical sections with the least used towards the center.  It's time to stock up on the different chili powders I use for chili.  I highly recommend the chili con carne, ancho chili powder and their regular or medium heat chili powder.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ditto on the lazy susans. I have my spices on a double decker but also use them for other items as well. One has coffee cups on the bottom and dinner plates on top. Another has canned goods on both bottom and top. You can find all sorts of uses for them in the kitchen. I have a total of 5 in my cabinets. I even have one under the bathroom sink, it's a single though not a double decker. Easy to spin around to find shampoo/conditioner/hair spray/whatever.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ : Great idea. Only concern - trying to determine how to mount on inside of cabinet door to fit in between the edge of the shelves so the door can be opened and closed. Also need to make sure lids don’t pull off spilling spices and creating a mess. Not able to mount on backsplash. Refrigerator is across room and not an option. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

I tried the lazy Susan  but for me- the spices would move and fall over creating a big mess but maybe I purchased the wrong style. Reading reviews on the two tier box. One with great reviews are expensive and you have to mount it with two screws to the back of the cabinet and concerned about messing up the cabinet since I am not a very good handy person. Southern Bee 

Esteemed Contributor

No perfect solution - I have built-in 3 tier lazy susan.  Top shelf needs a ladder ....that leaves tier #1 and #2 and still have to move front item to see what's behind those bottles.  It's a silly problem but....a problem.