Esteemed Contributor

Re: Summer Meals vs Winter Meals.

Yes I think our meals change with the seasons for sure.  As most stated we tend to grill a lot in the summer.   I like to roast peppers on the grill with fish and stuffies, or a big fat steak and a baked potato (ok, not so light!) but we will use the leftover steak to cut up for salads the next day.  DH loves salad, I make him some pretty fancy ones.   Sometimes just simple burgers or hot dogs with cole slaw or potato salad, pizza or sandwiches when it gets really hot.   By the fall though I am so ready for that pot of chili !!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

DD doesn't know what she is missing!! LOL

My veggie soup is a vegetarian version.  I use veggie scraps to start my own stock.  I also order heirloom beans from the internet.  A company called Rancho Gordo and I use some of the bean water for flavor.  After it's done cooking I also add nooch, which is a vegan substitute for cheese.  It's actual a mushroom that has a parmesan cheese taste.  I also do a wide range of onions, garlic, spices & herbs-- whatever I have on hand.  

I think these things add a lot of flavor, at least as much as a say, a beef version.  I really enjoy making it.  As the winter progresses it just seems to be my own little eco system of using up leftovers that creates the variety in the soup.  I often share with the neighbors or I take some to my Dad.  I get a lot of rave reviews.  I think it's not so much the cook, as it just the method-- good ingredients in, good soup out.  LOL

I know a lot of people don't like a lot of veggie or bean because of gas.  Just take a pill.  lol  that's what i do.  TMI?  haha

Honored Contributor

Yes in winter I tend to go for:

pot roasts, roast chicken, stews, chili, hot chocolate

Summer I like:

grilled chicken, fish & steak, lots of salads, corn on the cob & homemade ice cream

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  For sure! In the summer, we tend to buy whatever is fresh at our local farm stands.  Today, we scored red leaf lettuce, asparagus and sugar snap peas from our town's farmers' market. I grow basil, tomatoes, and herbs on the patio.I also make a lettuce salad with meat and cheese every week. That way we have something cold to eat. I hate to ask DH to grill in the heat of the summer, but he will if we have the family over. He likes to grill and smoke in the fall or winter. Thanks for this post! Love reading all the responses!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make the same stuff year round. I use a crockpot often or grill outside all year. I make tri tip, spaghetti, beef tips, chicken pot pie all year round. If I waited for cooler weather for those things I would have only December thru March. I rarely turn on the oven no matter what time of the year. I use a toaster oven or a Ninja grill for most things.I think the last time I used the oven was Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our summer meals (like most here) are lighter and/or simpler to prepare. I always take advantage of fresh veggies and fruits in the summer, so we have a lot of salads and sandwiches with fresh tomatoes, etc, especially BLTs. Grilled hot dogs, white fish or a steak work well with just a few ears of sweet corn or a salad with fresh veggies.

Now that I have (and love) a small Air Fryer, I keep some frozen items like shrimp, french fries, etc that can be cooked quickly without heating up the kitchen, plus some frozen dinners (Marie Callendar) that hubby can put in the microwave if I'm not cooking much. I'm fine with just fresh fruits and veggies, but he sometimes wants a little more than that, so a frozen meal in the microwave suits him just fine. He's not at all picky, thank goodness!

Frequent Contributor

I also order beans from Ranch Gordo, care to share any of your favorite recipes with them?   Thanks 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our summer menu consists of lite eating.  We spend most days by the pool or beach so I never feel like cooking or a heavy meal.

Monday - BLT

Tuesday - frittata w/ salad

Wed - tuna or chicken salad in tomatoes or with nice greens

Thursday - hotdogs italian style

Friday - crab cakes or fish

Sat - out to dinner (usually steakhouse)

Sunday - sports day : chicken wings, light side or sausage, peppers & onions w/ side of pasta salad 

Then variations thru summer.  I like eggplant, roasted vegs hot or cold.

Somedays he will just have eggs --

Glad spouse doesn't need meat & potatoes every night so it's easy choices ..

I make big chopped antipasto salad w/ balsamic dressing and we eat this all week for lunch.

Honored Contributor

I do not. I just fix what ever I feel like having lol

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller